Speaking of Picks

6string

Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 am

I'm curious about these = "blue picks", has anybody tried them?

http://www.bluechippick.net/

goldleaf

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:49 pm

I can't speak for all picks but I recently purchased a little over $65 worth of picks. I bought a couple "Wegen" picks made in the Netherlands, very thick and a large variety of materials and sizes. I also bought the pick advertised in an earlier post, it has curved metal grips for the thumb and finger and a couple other picks. I tried them all and within 20 minutes I was grabbing my nylon .88 guage pick with raised lettering that helps prevent slippage. I even put adresive backed sandpaper, used for making ramps less slippery in inclement weather. Actually that was the most viable pick as the sandpaper really allows you to grab and slippage is not a problem. Although I still use my regular nylon .88 or thinner pick. With many of the picks they were so fat you could hear the pick contacting the strings, not a sound I liked, almost a clicking type noise. Anyway. I haven't given up my hunt for a special pick but I don't think I'll be spending over $1 for a pick for quite awhile. Any body wany to try some different styles of picks, I've got about 15, not counting the 50 or so standard type picks I've managed to acquire over the years. Gary

www.bigrockeng.com/
Here is the site for the picks w/metal grips - Actually the "F1"pick was the one I like most of all that I purchased. Gary

willem

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:00 am

Gary, i think everybody runs back to his USA NYLON .88 but my expirence is that pick can make a other sound..... strange isn't it that nylon goes together with steel and you get a nice sound.......anybody???

goldleaf

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Willem, for me, I just like the flexibility of the medium thick nylon pick, it allows me to play softly or more aggressively and get the sound I want. It's kinda strange how "picky" one can become about just a small difference in a pick. The next thickness either up or down is to flexible or to stiff to the point I would go find one if I lost the one I was using. I was reading a post about Thumb Picks today and that sounds interesting, mainly because I am not very set or good at thumb and finger picking so it's going to be a lot of learning anyway, I wonder it it isn't worth learning with a thumb pick although Neil sure doesn't seem to use one. Gary

Catman

Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:14 am

I tend to go for a fairly heavy pick by preference. I feel is gives me more control. My LGS doesn't carry any exotic picks, so I'm stuck with a Fender heavy. I will probably take a dremel to it to roughen up the grip area. I'll let you know how that works.

David

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm

I use Fender mediums, I bought a tin of their 60th Anniversary ones (were very cheap) 36 in the tin, I actually find they are ok, my Wife finds them in every pocket that goes to the wash lol!!

frybaby

Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:16 pm

Over the years I've tried a wide variety of picks types and guages. Settled on fender heavy...Until I tried Dunlap Ultex. A friend gave me one he got as a free sample in a Guitar Magazine. I was amazed at the sound difference. Have been using them every since. Have tried a few other brands when I could not find Tortex but alway come back. Have also tried different Ultex. The one that I find the best is the one with the Rineo on it. It a amber see through. I have been using the .75, but just this week bought some 1.0's much thicker and muffeled the sound. But both are fantastic picks, I think they a .93. That will be my next experiment. But they last forever and sound much beter than any other pick material I have used.

So there it is.

TGMandolinMike

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:20 am

For years I've used "Dawg" picks, available through David Grisman's website, dawgnet.com. They're thick and triangular, with one point slightly less rounded than the remaining two. They're really great for flatpicking, and exceptional for mandolin. At $18 a dozen, they also don't cost you a limb, like some others that shall remain nameless. If you like a thicker pick, one that you'll probably lose before it wears out , give these a try.

mattroutley

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:13 am

tovo wrote:
15 greenbacks for a pick!! Does it have an on-board computer that you can program to play the song for you?? That's over the top I reckon goldleaf.

(Cool story on the Foo Fighter picks by the way 1robekert)
agreed on both counts - i went and bought some picks the other day for 50p each and felt a little stung by it!

ericdmyers

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:41 pm

Everything in the guitar chain makes a difference in your sound and playing style. Something as simple as the way you hold a pick or the pick material can change how you sound and your technique. It all matters.

I use a Bluechip pick 50. Why? It's like it disappears in the extraneous sound department. No clicks or introducing any clacking or plastic sound. It feels organic. It sticks to my fingers too - no slippage. I keep it in a pouch on my keychain. It doesn't wear out.

If you have a guitar worth thousands of dollars, why do want to connect to it with the cheapest thing you can buy?

Anyway, like I said, it all matters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic