Speaking of Picks

wrench

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:38 pm

I really wouldn't think picks can affect the sound of a guitar very much, but I recently played a session with picks of various thicknesses and materials, and got surprisingly different sounds from each.

Has anyone made similar observations?

By the way, thin celluloid gave the loudest and brightest sound out of my pick collection - by a very large margin.

wrench

TGMatt

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:12 am

I have found for myself at least that about .88 is the best fo rmy comfortability factor..the softer ones for strumming songs sound nice..

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:18 am

I've mentioned these before ,I at one time consdired contacting the lady about a business proposition, may still do that yet.

http://www.painterarps.co.nz/New.htm

1robekert

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:34 am

I have an interesting story about picks. My daughter's art teacher's boyfriend is the tour manager for the Foo Fighters. When her art teacher found out my daughter was a fan she put her hand into her desk drawer and pulled out a handful of guitar picks. She said her boyfriend gives her these in bunches. They are the picks that Dave Grohl uses in concert, studio, practice, etc. They all had a FF logo on them. She pulled out 2 picks. She said "here is one white and one black one". Needless to say my daughter was pretty happy.

She brought home the picks and told me the story. I noticed one thing right off the bat. The white pick was a Tortex .60 pick (probably used for acoustic) and the black pick was probably a .88 or 1.0 Tortex (electric).

I bought an autographed 8x10 of Dave Grohl on eBay and framed the picks with the photo. I now hangs in her room :) Funny where an innocent conversation leads you.

Rob

goldleaf

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:35 pm

I was at my luthier and saw him playing with a fat pick I have never seen before. I called him later and asked about it. He said it is made in Netherlands by Michael Wegen. Therefore they are called "Wegen" picks. He has a amazing variety of picks from .05mm to 5mm. You would have to Google "wegen" to see, there are are so many types I couldn't explain, except they run from $15 US for 1 and some are $20 for a set of 3. Worth checking out, I don't know about paying that much though. Gary

tovo

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm

15 greenbacks for a pick!! Does it have an on-board computer that you can program to play the song for you?? That's over the top I reckon goldleaf.

(Cool story on the Foo Fighter picks by the way 1robekert)

wrench

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

I've seen some marketing of picks here, and I will say some of them are personalized statements to be sure, but has anyone ever seen any science connected with picks?

Do any of you choose one pick over another because of the sound it produces?

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Guys, If I can get to actually being able to use a pick at all, I swear, I'll go for one of Chas's precious stone (probably Jade) picks at whatever the price! If I try them, then a really thin one but the sound is better when they are a little stiffer.

BigBear

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:32 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Guys, If I can get to actually being able to use a pick at all, I swear, I'll go for one of Chas's precious stone (probably Jade) picks at whatever the price! If I try them, then a really thin one but the sound is better when they are a little stiffer.

Chris- you have a nylon stringed guitar. Why would you want to use a pick? :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 pm

...got a 12 string Takamine too! :P Most kindly meant, my friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic