That moment when the light goes on

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Paulguitar56 wrote:
For fingerpicking, just sit in front of the TV watch your favorite show and hold your guitar and travis pick with your right hand. Not thinking about your fingers. Do that for several days and it will become a natural movement for your fingers. Don't finger the frett board with your left hand. Just travis pick. I found that I learned in a stair step fashion. There are times you may stay stagnent in your progression for a short time. Then there are times when you will make fast progress in a very short period of time. My advice is, if you are stuck on something back off of it for a few days and work on something else. You will be surprised how fast you will pick it up when you return to it.. Practice what you want to improve, play what you love to play.

PG;)
Good advice Paul! I have found that working on the picking pattern while watching TV has worked for me as well. I have also backed off on things that I struggle with sometimes when I get frustrated. I start working on something else for a while to keep the enjoyment level there. Then, when I go back to the part I was struggling on, I find that sometimes whatever I switched to has helped me along enough to overcome the difficulties that I experienced the first time through....

Funny how that works....

:)

tovo

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Paul this really is good advice and I tried that just the other night after listening to the same advice from Tommy Emmanuel. Found it very useful exercise actually so for anyone else I would recommend Paul's tip.

helloworld

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:53 pm

Great idea Paul!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic