Guitar Factory Tours

jayswett

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 pm

I've read on the forum of several of you who have taken tours of guitar factories or shops. This sounds incredibly appealing to me. I gather there is a Taylor factory in San Diego. Any factories on the east coast, preferably in New England? Also, how does one make arrangements to take one of these tours? Any information on this would be appreciated.

DBabsJr

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:03 pm

It's not New England, but is the east coast. Martin has museum and factory tours in Nazareth, PA. http://www.martinguitar.com/visit/index.html

NKenny

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:24 pm

I have been on the Martin tour many times. If you are ever in Penn. make sure you go to the Martin factory.Watching a guitar being built is something to see,the museum is very good too. You can also go in a room and play many of the more expensive high end guitars.All around good experience and fun. And at the end of the tour they give you the wood plug that is cut out for the sound hole. It has the Martin logo and date burnt into it. I use them as Christmas tree ornaments.

Kenny

jayswett

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:12 am

Good thoughts. This was the kidn of thing that I was looking for. I checked out the Martin website and a tour looks easy to arrange. Thanks.

helloworld

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 am

Guitar Center is giving away some factory tours right now. They even have some prize packages that include a custom made guitar. Not sure if you have a GC in your town, but you can probably enter to win on their site. It's a total long shot that you'd actually win, but hey, some will right?

goldleaf

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 am

I just went on the Taylor guitar factory tour on 9/8/09 and it was really interesting. My wife is still talking about it to friends family when we talk about our recent vacation to San Diego and she doesn't play a lick. It is something to see the raw sawn woods they have drying, Taylor buys their woods already rough cut and have people shoping all over the world to find woods that meet their standards. To see that wood turn into a beautiful guitar and how they combine high tech machinery with hand craftmanship is amazing. They have a lobby where you gather, they also have 2 soundproof rooms where you can play the guitars they have on display that day. I would definitely say get there early to give yourself time to take advantage of that. They have it M-F at 1:00. Supposed to last 1:15 ours lasted over 2 hours, I had a lot of questions. Check on line for their schedule of holidays etc. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic