Bands or solo artists with a strong message

tovo

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Some years ago in Australia we had an awesome band called Midnight Oil. Some in the States may know them they had some modest success in the USA and appeared on a few US Chat Shows. Their music carried a strong message of social justice, primarily about Aboriginal rights. I remember that a comment I would hear a lot about them was "I don't agree with what they are singing about but I love their music". (Their frontman later went into federal politics...seems so weird to see the rock rebel in a suit).

Anyway, that was just an example to illustrate my point. I recall fairly recently the controversy stirred up by the Dixie Chicks but that was somewhat different I guess as it was more their comments than any message in their music.

So I was wondering. Do people like their music to carry a really strong message of justice? Is this type of music the most enduring? Or is it the beat and nothing but the beat that matters?

Just to be clear, this isn't a thread about politics...I'm not really that interested in the SPECIFIC message but rather how it helps or hurts an artist on their way to the top. Could be a lame topic but I thought it might be interesting discussion.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Midnight Oil's were great... the singer is minister for the environment now, isn't he?
Tried to play some of their songs... King of the Mountain .. not easy but really liked that one.

As for bands/singers with a message. I sometimes wondered what happened to all the messages about the environment we were hearing in the 70's. Things have gotten much worse but there are not many singing about it these days. I love the Moody Blues for the content and sound. Gordon Lightfoot's songs always had a message or story. I really liked Dan Fogelberg for the same reason. Yeah, I like a story or a message in a song... it's not enough for me to just have a good sound. The anti-hero for me is MJ (not you MJ!), the self-called King of Pop. He produced fantastic sounds... but lyrics completely devoid of depth and meaning. Well, save the world but....
I like social comment too... John Mellencamp's Jackie Brown is one I play as is Donovan's Gold Watch Blues. Jackson Brown springs to mind... Lives in The Ballance.

Can anyone come up with others who are writing stories, social comment or about environmental issues these days?

BigBear

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Tovo- you pose a good question. I greatly respect a band whose music has a theme about something important. Tom Russell, whose music I really enjoy sings about native American issues. C,S,N & Y, sang about whales, wars, and politics. Peter, Paul and Mary and Pete Seeger are famous for their anti-war message. And so many others.

What I have a real problem with are the artists who use their popularity to get on their soapbox and preach to the world how bad their country is. Filthy rich people who play the victim or simply want to prove to us all how ignorant and poorly informed they are. We all know who they are, Springsteen, The Dixie Chicks, Mathews, Streisand and yes, C,S,N & Y can't keep it to themselves. The list seems endless.

I want to simply enjoy their music and keep their politics to themselves. Same for the actors. I won't pay to go to a movie with Sean Penn or Danny Glover in it. I will vote with my wallet. Life is simply too short! :S

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Messages are good, as long as they stay in the music and are an expression that way. Chris, you are right about Jackson Browne. Lots of his stuff is pretty message oriented. Bob Dylan, CCR, heck there are too many to name right now. I don't like music for the "Beat and the Beat Only" to be sure. A nice progression and sweet melody are always catchy, but if the message is a downer, it will turn me away. I, for one, won't listen to U2 at all because of Bono's off-stage antics. Can't deny their musical abilities, but they turn me off with their politics (amazing how that works isn't it....).

I like messages in songs. They can be about anything really. I just happen to prefer an upbeat message, or a real life message. Something I can relate to, or reminds me of my life. Negative messages, political messages, dark or depressing messages - you can keep em'. Personal preference.

Great question Tovo! Music is SOOOOOO subjective at times.

Oh, how about Neil Young? Lots of messages there......

:)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Another type of message I appreciate is the self message. John Lennon's songs were so real to because it was so much about himself. I remember hating the McCartney songs sometime: Oh bladi Oh blada, Maxwell's silver hammer, Yellow submarine because of the silly superficiality of it. CHanged my mind later on after seeing McCa in concert.

tovo

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah U2 are probably the best example of polarizing an audience. I love Sunday Bloody Sunday but Bono's soapbox is very confrontational. I remember a World Tour they were doing where they crossed live during the concert (every concert every night) to Kosovo so that Bono could interview people as they struggled with the conflict. At a rock concert! Part of me admires his determination to highlight really important issues but I'm tipping that if I have paid $200 to see a concert then I don't want to be preached to.

Did any of you more mature members ever attend a Doors concert?

Oh by the way neverfoundthetime, Peter Garrett is the Minister for Environment, Heritage and Arts correct.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:16 pm

The DOORS? Man I was just a kid! :-)
Wasn't the message there good old sex, drugs rock and Roll?
And save the daisies too???

tovo

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
The DOORS? Man I was just a kid! :-)
Wasn't the message there good old sex, drugs rock and Roll?
And save the daisies too???
Me too man! :laugh: But "The Unknown Soldier" was a really in-your-face protest song complete with a mock execution most performances

TGMatt

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Midnight oil was and is just a great band..I nominate Peter G for the best lead singers dance style of all time..Here is the song that started it all for them..check out Peters Dancing

[video type=youtube][/video]

TGMatt

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm

INXS who were an incredibly large band at their peak selling out Wembley stadium etc , released this song which was quite controversial at the time, and ahead of Michael Jacksons "black or white " tune..

Great song...and they also have a ton of tunes with truly great opening riffs..

[video type=youtube][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic