Bands or solo artists with a strong message

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Neil Young in the face of Nixon and the National Guard after Kent State massacre

tovo

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm

That's a great example Chas. Interesting is that it is really "in-your-face" isn't it? Referring to Nixon by name. I read that one of Dylan's real strengths in making his songs timeless was never making specific reference to a person or event so that the song could be applied just as effectively over the years. Although I'm not a fan, Pink has done that well in her protest song "Dear Mr President". Neil Young clearly wasn't thinking along those lines though and it's a very direct message as a result.

Most interesting is when an artist ignores popular opinion to lodge a protest that they know is not going to be well received. Any examples?

tovo

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Here's an example. Peter Garrett explaining his message on a chat show in the US. I can only imagine how it was received. It's a VERY powerful song though....

TGMatt

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Here is my alltime favourite Oils song...dont think the right to carry fits in well with its message here..but I just love the keyboards and the guitar riff...

[video type=youtube][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic