Getting the big break

tovo

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:05 am

I thought of this topic when Matt posted a vid from a guy on one of those franchised talent shows. You know the ones, American Idol (or insert country as it's gone around the world as a franchise), Britain's got talent etc etc.

I don't confess to watching these shows regularly but I have seen them. I've seen some enormously talented individuals on these shows.

The common criticism is that these are karaoke singers who haven't "paid their dues". I suspect the primary audience is teenagers and invariably the winner has some initial chart success and then struggles.

So what do you guys think? Are these shows a legitimate means of entering the business or are they to be dismissed as karaoke or worse?

willem

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:02 am

tovo wrote:
I thought of this topic when Matt posted a vid from a guy on one of those franchised talent shows. You know the ones, American Idol (or insert country as it's gone around the world as a franchise), Britain's got talent etc etc.

I don't confess to watching these shows regularly but I have seen them. I've seen some enormously talented individuals on these shows.

The common criticism is that these are karaoke singers who haven't "paid their dues". I suspect the primary audience is teenagers and invariably the winner has some initial chart success and then struggles.

So what do you guys think? Are these shows a legitimate means of entering the business or are they to be dismissed as karaoke or worse?
For me they are not karokesingers and some have a great singing talent!!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:34 am

Very, very good Karaoke singers though, tovo! Personally, I think once you've watched the show, that was it. Good entertainment with novelty value for 10 minutes but non of them are going to water-down my collection of favourites: Moody Blues, Beatles, Simon 6 Garfunkel, Dan Fogelberg, Justin Hayward, Cat Stevens, Gerry Rafferty....
Test-tube groups are not my favourites... although I did like the Monkeys, but I was only 10 years old at the time!

rcsnydley

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:19 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Very, very good Karaoke singers though, tovo! Personally, I think once you've watched the show, that was it. Good entertainment with novelty value for 10 minutes but non of them are going to water-down my collection of favourites: Moody Blues, Beatles, Simon 6 Garfunkel, Dan Fogelberg, Justin Hayward, Cat Stevens, Gerry Rafferty....
Test-tube groups are not my favourites... although I did like the Monkeys, but I was only 10 years old at the time!
I agree with Chris, some are good karaoke singers, but to me it's just a way to fill up an hours time without having to come up with anything creative. I rarely waste my brain cells on these shows, but if you are going to watch the best part is in the early stages when the really horrible ones are on. Now that's entertainment.lol

Ric

willem

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:57 am

rcsnydley wrote:
I rarely waste my brain cells on these shows, but if you are going to watch the best part is in the early stages when the really horrible ones are on. Now that's entertainment.lol

Ric[/quote]

I think thats the malicous delight..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic