Reliable Guitar review websites?

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:58 am

I have an opportunity to buy a used Ovation AE 38 acoustic/electric guitar for about $200 US. Before I take the 1/2 drive to take a look at this, I was wondering if anyone knows of any reliable websites to visit in order to get more information about individual, used guitars. I took a look myself last night, but did not find any sites that seemed well organized. Also, I'm not sure how biased or un-biased they are.

AndyT

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:09 am

We have had this discussion a few times about different guitars.

It comes down to what you want. Go see it. Play it. See if it fits you. How does the neck feel? Does the body fit against you correctly? Can you play it comfortably? How does it sound? Do you like the sound? Does it have electronics? Do they work? Is it a problem if it does not have electronics? What condition is it in? Any obvious damage? What about non-obvious damage? Check each string at each fret and make sure they all work. (a bad fret will not change the note when you finger it) Is the neck straight? Is the guitar dirty?

If you are satisfied with all the above, then start discussing price. Offer a lower price to start with. If he wants 200 offer 150. Be nice about it. You might get it at the lower price. Either way, that will give you a bit of room to cut a deal. Maybe he is firm on the price. Maybe you think its too much. Don't be afraid to say 'No' and walk away.

In the end, its you that has to play it and be happy with it. Who cares what everyone else thinks. They are not paying for it. You make up your own mind and that way, you will be happier with it.

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:23 am

I have read the other threads which have been very helpul with regard to what to look for when evaluating a guitar. I guess what I'm looking for with this thread is some information as where to look online before actually handling and evaluating a guitar for potential purchase. Useful information might be solid wood vs. laminate, durability and reliability, materials in construction. That sort of thing. Perhaps it's too much to ask for this sort of information online, but I thought I would ask in any case. I hadn't seen this discussed previously, and it may be useful information for other TG memmbers.

ffsooo3

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:32 am

Check out:
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/u ... &submit=Go

Post your question there. You'll most likely get a number of responses. The people there are diehard Ovation fans. Alos checkout their forsale section:

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/u ... &submit=Go

Have you looked at www.ovationguitars.com

AndyT

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 am

Jay,
Those technical details are what I call 'Nice to know but not necessary'. The eval is the thing. Do you really care if its a solid top or laminate if you really like the sound and it plays easily? Its a 200 dollar guitar. Don't expect solid Koa construction. Just put more emphasis on the evaluation because that is what your going to be doing with it. Playing.

Now, if you are purchasing it as an investment to resale in the future, then you will need to know the technical details. But then how much is a 200 dollar guitar really going to jump in price?

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 am

All good points.

TGMatt

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:24 pm

THis is a cargory fo discussion were filling out in the new forum..

But I have been trying to think through the actual review thing too, so that is something that will come ..

Cheers

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Proabably the best review site at present is:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/

These are reviews from actual users not the companies and not magazines who could be influenced

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:46 pm

That Harmony-central site was indeed very useful. Seemed unbiased, and clearly the reviewers were current or previous owners of the guitars under review. Thanks for the tip.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic