Willy Porter & Guild 2007 NAMM

goldleaf

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Check out the YouTube vids of Willy Porter at the 2007 NAMM playing his new Guild "Contemporary Series, Signature Model. Just heard of him a few months ago although he has been with Guild for many years. Willy really works out the guitar he's an awesome singer & guitar player. Check out the "Group" Guild Comtemporary Series for more info. Gary

goldleaf

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:12 pm

His signature guitar model comes w/ 2 bone saddles for different tunings, wish I understood more how to use alternate tunings. Check out how Willy uses a lot of the techniques Neil teaches, like muting the strings etc. Gary

goldleaf

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 pm

He has several awesome YouTube songs, check them out.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Check out how Willy uses lots of percussion, sometimes with an agressive attack then a deliquite melody high on the treble strings.

goldleaf

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 am

I wish Neil could explain what type(s) of strumming Willy is using, sounds like he go's from Basa Nova to very soft arpeggio.

BRBbrb

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Crazy :silly: he plays the fret-board like a keyboard! Muting, tapping...2 saddles? & I complain about an F chord. lol Is Guild part of Fender or they were just sponsoring the event?

goldleaf

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:08 pm

Fender bought Guild in 2005-06?, Guild stopped building in USA in 2007, why Fender buys companies and stop production of their most popular acoustic/electrics guitars is a mystery. They did the same with Tacoma guitars, bought them out & stopped production of their most popular all wood A/E guitars. Check out under "Groups" Guild Comtemporary Series" for more details also "Tacoma Guitars".

This was the 2007 NAMM where Manufacturers show off their latest and greatest stuff and have sponsored performers play. That's why the recording isn't so great. I just heard of Willy Porter when I bought the Guild, Willy Porter Signature Model guitar a couple months ago. He sure uses a lot of techniques all over the fretboard and goes from agressive strumming to quiet arpeggio w/ a lot of string muteing and percussion on the guitar. Richie Havens is also sponsered by Guild.

I think they are better than Cole Clark's & Taylors or just as good, but Chas and Andy and others might have an opinion.

goldleaf

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Interesting story from guitar wholesaler: Willy Porter has been sponsered by Guild for over a dozen years and is used to getting free signature guitars (his design)from them as needed, but Guild sold all of their remaining stock of "Contemporary Series" guitars to a large wholesaler out of Nashville over year ago, (they distribute through about 20 sub wholesalers nationwide). Willy had to call the wholesaler (who paid for all of the guitars and owed Willy nothing.) Willy had to pay (wholesale) for the 3 "contemporary series" guitars they were able to find for him, which he greatfully did since there are no more being made, Guild has none left in stock and a handful are left with wholesalers or in stores selling them as collectors models for close to list price. The Guild "Contemporary Series" was the last USA produced A/E solid wood w/ several patent pending improvements & handcrafted by their top craftsman out of their finest woods. This only lasted for approx 6 months during 2007 in the Tacoma WA factory. Guild relocated there from CA. just to produce the Contemporary Series before Fender (the parent co.) pulled the rug and moved them to Hartford Conn. Guild still puts their name on the GAD series but all are manufactured in China.

goldleaf

Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:22 am

Check out the range his guitar has.

BRBbrb

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:23 am

Sounds like your guitar will be a collector's item! Does your's have a double-saddle Gary? Glad you're so happy with it. If I'm not mistaken Fender bought Ovation also; kinda sad really:(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic