Nylon stringed folk guitar

davidjdriver

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:58 am

I have been looking for a folk necked guitar with nylon strings. I have thought about taking a steel stringed guitar and cutting a new nut and just putting nylons on it. I have had read many people online say not to do it and it won't work but I have seen plenty of people try it and say that it worked out.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a nylon guitar with a steel stringed neck that isn't super expensive?

Has anyone here done this sort of conversions?

Any technical recommendations?

Thanks!

Jimmer

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:16 am

There's a technical reason why you SHOULDN'T do this. Guitar tops are braced for a particular kind of pressure. Guitars that use steel strings are braced for much higher pressures than classical/nylon stringed guitars. Long term use of nylon on steel or steel on nylon will tend to warp the top over time. You may get away with it for awhile, but in the long run, it's bad for the guitar. It's the same reason you should never leave a guitar UNstrung for long periods of time. Positive or negative, pressures that the top is not braced for will do damage.

Having said that... I assume you're looking for a guitar that uses nylon strings BUT has a thinner neck or narrower nut. There are quite a few on the market you might want to consider. I had an Alvarez RC20-SC, acoustic electric cutaway that sounded very nice. there are a few in the Alvarez line you may want to consider. Fender has a nice CG-24 with a nice cedar top that sounds wonderful. Currently, I'm playing an Epiphone Masterbilt EN546-CE that has a 1.75" nut (about halfway between a steel string and classical width). She has a gorgeous cedar top and rosewood back and sides. The Epiphone is in the $500 range discounted, but you can pick up the Fender or the Alvarez for under $300 if you look hard...

Hope that helps...

> Jimmer

davidjdriver

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 am

I bought a Masterbilt AJ 500 RE and the discontinued nylon from that line is what got me interested in doing a guitar like this. I love my masterbilt. It was one of those guitars that as soon as I put my hand on it to try it out it said "I'm going home with you..."

I found this guitar from Luna as well:

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticprod ... onmuse.php

What I really don't want to end up with is a guitar that has a neck bigger than my bass..

Jimmer

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:26 am

LOL! The Masterbilt discontinued nylon is the one I have... and I actually bought it sight unseen. None of my local dealers carried the line. I was EXPECTING to be disappointed - I wasn't. She'll be with me for a long time...

The Luna looks wonderful. Have you played her yet?

davidjdriver

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:59 am

I have not tried the luna yet. There is a dealer in the next town north of me but I wan to know if they stock them before I drive there.

the sort of sound that I am shooting for is like this:
http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicetoneharm ... RMANCE.flv

mark

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 am

I'd be interested in how you get on with the luna.

I'm looking for something similar. I want a nylon string guitar but I don't want one with a very wide neck so that there is a lot of adjustment needed.
Also I'd like one with a lower than normal action for a classical.

BRBbrb

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:44 am

Have you checked with "Neverfoundthetime"?; he is using a nylon-stringed folk in his videos.

davidjdriver

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks for the tip. I will look him up.

Max

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Have you considered a Taylor nylon string guitar? I know that they're a bit pricey, but they're worth it.
Here's their website:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Ac ... ric/Nylon/ Image

davidjdriver

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:11 pm

That is a nice series of instruments. There is also the Ovation but that is at the higher end of the Ovation price scale as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic