"Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" The pain of it all !! (UPDATE)

michelew

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:34 am

Terry, I was experiencing nerve pain and general pain in my right arm earlier this year (after playing for just a few months). THe muscles in my arm and hand got really tight and were constricting the nerve, really uncomfortable. I had a few factors collide on me; I was new to the guitar (this time) and my muscles we're up to what I was asking them to do, I have a gut condition that affects (overstimulates) my nervous system, I do too much computer work and use my mouse hand ALOT! and I was completely new to fingerpicking and loving it (over doing it). The later especially resulted in me tensing up my hand and arm heaps while I was practicing. To fix it I did the following:
- I saw a Osteopath who massaged and did subtle and not so subtle manipulations to loosen and 'reset' my arm and its muscles, the massage was really intense and my arm felt bruised for a few days afterwards
- I gave the playing a rest for a couple of days
- I reduced my playing in general and concentrated on strumming and using a pick instead when I did play
- I concentrated on relaxing my hand and arm when I did fingerpicking especially
- I cut down the amount of time I spent on the computer - at home for a while
- i massaged it myself
- I did some stretches whenever I remembered to lengthen and release the muscles.

One way or another it all helps and healed. I'm still a bit prone to the tight muscles, but as my technique gets better and my muscles improve I seem to be experiencing it less and less.

I don't know if this will help you but none of it will hurt you and who knows some of it might be the missing pieces of the puzzle. Good luck. I know how it feels when you're starring at the guitar with the urge to pick it up but can't because you've been overdoing it and/or it just hurts.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has tips about good stretches and the like.
Michele

wrench

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Terry,

It's a huge shame you're out of action for a while because you do play very well. While the medical professionals get you healed up, perhaps you can figure out how it happened to prevent a recurrence.

I'll offer you this observation. Your upper right arm does not touch the guitar, and I find this significant only because I watched videos of about a hundred other people, and you are the only one whose upper arm makes no contact with the guitar. I don't know if it's a factor; just an observation.

Good luck.

wrench

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic