"Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" The pain of it all !! (UPDATE)

terrynewton

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:57 pm

"Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" is a condition that affects the ulnar nerve where it crosses the inside edge of the elbow. The symptoms are very similar to the pain that comes from hitting your funny bone. When you hit your funny bone, you are actually hitting the ulnar nerve on the inside of the elbow. There, the nerve runs through a passage called the cubital tunnel. When this area becomes irritated from injury or pressure, it can lead to cubital tunnel syndrome.

I seemed to have developed this Syndrome since I have started putting a lot of time into practicing, at least two hours a day. The pressure from bending my elbow, resting my forearm on my guitar seems to be the only answer I can come up with as to way I am having this pain in my forearm and numbness on the inside of the hand and in the ring and little fingers. What I have read is that the numbness is often felt when the elbow is bent for long periods, such as talking on the phone or while sleeping. The hand and thumb may also become clumsy as the muscles become affected. I am having a real difficult time playing because of the pain. And the pain shooting down the arm is keeping me up at night. I put cold packs on it and that helps. Has anyone else had this problem??

(UPDATE)11/15/09
It has taken a little time but I have been able to get through this. I got a lot of good advice from all of you that was a real help. I'm now back to practicing again, a little at a time, but it really feels good. It was so hard to not be able to play because of the pain shooting down my right arm. I took time off and did some therapy and it worked. Thanks, again for all your concerns. It was nice to know you cared. B)

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Terry, is this like Tennis elbow where you have pain when you bend and straighten your elbow. It's caused by inflamation of the tendon and the sheth the tendon runs through. If it is similar, I used to use a strap that wraps around your forearm and you tighten down and velcro to the appropriate tightness. What that does is keeps the tendon from moving as much and gives the tendon & sheth a chance to reduce swelling. I know it dosen't seem like a strap aroun the forearm would help the elbow but it minimizes the movement of the tendon & still lets you use your arm. I had to do it every year when tennis season started with my wrist or elbow for about a month. Don't know if this is even related but I've been pushing a wheelchair for over 50 years so I've had a few wrist and elbow issues, and shoulder. BTW is it possible that resting your arm on the guitar is cutting off your blood supply by pressing against the edge of the guitar, which would cause tingeling and loss of sensation. Best of luck in finding a speedy cure. Gary

terrynewton

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Terry, is this like Tennis elbow where you have pain when you bend and straighten your elbow. It's caused by inflamation of the tendon and the sheth the tendon runs through. If it is similar, I used to use a strap that wraps around your forearm and you tighten down and velcro to the appropriate tightness. What that does is keeps the tendon from moving as much and gives the tendon & sheth a chance to reduce swelling. I know it dosen't seem like a strap aroun the forearm would help the elbow but it minimizes the movement of the tendon & still lets you use your arm. I had to do it every year when tennis season started with my wrist or elbow for about a month. Don't know if this is even related but I've been pushing a wheelchair for over 50 years so I've had a few wrist and elbow issues, and shoulder. Best of luck in finding a speedy cure. Gary
Thanks Gary,
The pain seems to stay in the forearm. bending the elbow does not hurt. But keeping my are straight does lesson the pain.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:44 pm

terrynewton wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
Terry, is this like Tennis elbow where you have pain when you bend and straighten your elbow. It's caused by inflamation of the tendon and the sheth the tendon runs through. If it is similar, I used to use a strap that wraps around your forearm and you tighten down and velcro to the appropriate tightness. What that does is keeps the tendon from moving as much and gives the tendon & sheth a chance to reduce swelling. I know it dosen't seem like a strap aroun the forearm would help the elbow but it minimizes the movement of the tendon & still lets you use your arm. I had to do it every year when tennis season started with my wrist or elbow for about a month. Don't know if this is even related but I've been pushing a wheelchair for over 50 years so I've had a few wrist and elbow issues, and shoulder. Best of luck in finding a speedy cure. Gary
Thanks Gary,
The pain seems to stay in the forearm. bending the elbow does not hurt. But keeping my are straight does lesson the pain.
Sorry, Terry, lost a word there "keeping your ?????? straight seems to lessen the pain.Gary

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Terry, if the issue is similar, movement of a tendon through an inflamed area, Cubital, Shieth, etc. you might get relief by using the strap, possibly above the elbow, the idea is to prevent the tendon from moving as much and they make a basic strap you can buy at the sporting good store that helps limit movement, especially if you are doing the activity that is causing the pain. It may be more of a muscle issue and not similar to what I'm describing but I thought I'd tell you what has kept me going when I have had pain in my wrist, forearm, elbow, the shoulder dosen't count, I need cortizone for that one. Gary

terrynewton

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:57 pm

goldleaf wrote:
terrynewton wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
Thanks Gary,
Sorry, Terry, lost a word there "keeping your ?????? straight seems to lessen the pain.Gary
Sorry about that. I was trying to say "Keeping my elbow straight does lessen the pain.

terrynewton

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks again Gary, I think I will go out and get that strap. B)

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Terry:

Sorry to hear about that. Hope the strap will help. Keep us posted.

MJ

:(

Lavallee

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:21 pm

Sorry to hear about this developping pain. Migth be a good idea to see a doctor to get a quick diagnostic, so that you treat it right and enjoy playing painless guitar.

Keep us updated

Marc

tovo

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 pm

I reckon Marc is right mate, go see a Doctor. Maybe (heaven forbid I know) cut back the practice just a bit and see if it eases off.

Take care Terry, they say "no pain no gain" but I don't think that was ever meant to be applied to guitar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic