Good Small-Sized Guitar

suziko

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey all! I'm hoping to get some advice from you all regarding a good small-sized guitar (not a uke!) for me. I'm currently playing an Alvarez, dreadnought sized guitar that was originally bought for my husband but later appropriated by me. It's a fine beginner guitar, but I'm a small woman (about 5'2") and it's a bit too big for me. My right shoulder gets raised higher than is natural and I feel like I'm stretching a bit for the strings. I'd like to buy something a bit smaller, but of good quality, somewhere in the $1,000 range. I've already talked briefly with MJ and Al about this, but any advice you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Suzi

BigBear

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:22 pm

suziko wrote:
Hey all! I'm hoping to get some advice from you all regarding a good small-sized guitar (not a uke!) for me. I'm currently playing an Alvarez, dreadnought sized guitar that was originally bought for my husband but later appropriated by me. It's a fine beginner guitar, but I'm a small woman (about 5'2") and it's a bit too big for me. My right shoulder gets raised higher than is natural and I feel like I'm stretching a bit for the strings. I'd like to buy something a bit smaller, but of good quality, somewhere in the $1,000 range. I've already talked briefly with MJ and Al about this, but any advice you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Suzi

Suzi- you have a couple of options. The most obvious is go with what they call a Parlor guitar. This is similar to Martin's OOO series which is slightly smaller than a dreadnaught. Lot's of old folk singers used these smaller guitars because they were so easy to handle and had surprisingly good sound. Martin still makes a full line of 000 series guitars.

My choice, and Chas will needle me for this, is to explore Taylor's Grand Concert size guitar. I have a Grand Auditorium-sized Taylor (all the _14 series guitars, like 314) which is basically a dreadnaught lower bout (the big end) with a smaller, cutaway upper bout. The Grand Concert size has a smaller waist than mine and is really a cool shape. These are Taylors _10 series guitars. See this link:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/fe ... ndconcert/

$1,000 may be pushing the limit a little but there are some amazing deals out there on used stuff.

Hope this helps!

Cheers! :cheer:

steamjam

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Hello;

What I would recommend a orchestra model guitar. If you look at the one I am playing in my profile pic, that is a ZAD-80CE OM. It is made by Martin and modified by Zager. They run alittle over $1,000.00. It has wonderful smooth mellow sound. They have Fishman electronics and a built-in tuner. It also has gold Grovers. Solid Cedar top with Rosewood sides and back with a rosewood fret board. The playability is outstanding.

http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?ev ... 0ceom&id=4

Check it out.

I hope this is helpful for you.

PG;)

lmc831

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi suzi,

I recently bought a Martin 000X1 and its perfect for me. I am also small like you. I have a dreadnought guitar and its way too big for me. I love the tone it has, but its uncomfortable for my right arm. Anyway this recent guitar has a great tone and i love the way Martin guitars sound. It is 499.00 dollors. It has a solid wood top and the sides and back are HPL...high pressure laminates. You can do a search on the internet that will describe it better. I went to guitarcenter to play one and really was impressed with its tone and how comfortable it was to play.

Lisa

tovo

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey Suzi,

I would have thought the Taylor Big Baby would be a good option for you, a smaller body without being a mini. Could be perfect for your small size.

BUT....in my opinion Maton make by far the best small bodied guitar going around. (Yes I have one) All solid Blackwood back and sides, AA grade spruce top, fantastic electrics and when plugged in are awesome. If your budget doesn't permit that (You could probably pick up a Diesel Special which is top of the line for about $1400, I got mine for $1500 Aussie. A few artists use them for acoustic sets on stage which is a good endorsement. Here's a link:

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/mini- ... eries.html

As well as the same guitar being played live:

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Suzi:

Did you ever get a chance to check out the Martin 000-15 or 000-18 models? If so, how was the size? Are you looking for something larger or smaller than these? If you want to go smaller, then you could also look into the Little Martins or the Baby Taylors. Both of which are decent guitars, but the sound does start to diminish somewhat. I have a Baby Taylor that I take on backpacking trips, and it sounds great up there, but it is no comparison to my Martin 000-15 model......

Good luck, and keep us posted.

MJ

B)

suziko

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Wow, thank you everyone for your responses! That is really very helpful information. I think my first step is going to be to go check out the Martin 000 series. From what Lisa says (as well as many others), it sounds like that might work well for me, and is well within my price range. But if I'm not happy with that, you all have given me lots of other options. My original plan was to upgrade when I turned 40 (in about 3 years), but I must admit that waiting that long is becoming less and less appealing the more I play my current guitar. So, maybe in the next few months you'll see a picture of my new "axe" :)

Suzi

lmc831

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Suzi
You might also want to look at the Martin 00X1 Java Mahagony. It is also $499.00. I really liked the sound of my 000X1. I could tell that the tone was more warm and deeper, which I tend to like. This guitar really sings! I did play on the other guitar(00X1) and it felt alot smaller but I could tell the difference in tone. It also felt good in my hands...so it was a hard choice. They are not very fancy guitars...but if u want a good sounding guitar in very afforable price, these might be for you. I also have a Taylor acoustic guitar and I always find myself playing on My Martin! Good Luck! Let me know what you get!

Lisa

goldleaf

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Suzi, I too decided I like the Orchestra size body w/single cutaway. That would be like a Martin 16 series w/ 000 size body. I went through the taylor factory last month and got to see and play the 614 & 612 which is a little smaller, the same is true for all Taylors from 200 through the 900 series. I'd get the 12 series even though you do give up a little on the sound and acoustics but it's easier to hold. I own a Little Martin which is comparable to the Baby Taylor, both 3/4 size guitars, great for travel but not the step up to the $1,000 price range, all wood guitar you are talking about. I bought a Seagull, Coastline "Parlor size" guitar. Nice guitar but I returned it, just to small for quality sound. My personal fav. is Guild, acoustic/electric, orchestra size CV-1c model. It has Indian rosewood side & back with Spruce top. It has bone nut and saddle & florentine cutaway. They list for $2,700 but you can buy them wholesale for as little as $1,200-1,400 in mint condition. Check the "group" Guild Cont.Series Guitar on TG see vid. of guitar. Blueridge is a really nice guitar also, look at Muarysmusic.com for sound clips and pictures, he only sells Martin and Blueridge guitars. Have fun, Gary

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:54 pm

Well I couldn't miss the opportunity to plug my company err ..... I wish lol

Image This is the Cole Clark Angel series, great sound great size here are the specs:

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/product_angel.asp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic