Good Small-Sized Guitar

suziko

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:43 pm

$2999NZ Not sure how much that is American, but I've got a feeling it might be a bit out of my price range :) Maybe in 10 years!

goldleaf

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Suzi did you get a chance to check out that website:
Suzi, check out this guitar@ www.ksmusic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=582
Gary

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:12 pm

suziko wrote:
$2999NZ Not sure how much that is American, but I've got a feeling it might be a bit out of my price range :) Maybe in 10 years!
At todays exchange its $2,220.80

suziko

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:55 pm

Yeah, I think that's a little outside of my budget, unfortunately!

goldleaf

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Suzi, I know where you can get that exact guitar in absolute Mint cond. for $1,400. I sent you a PM with details. Gary

nemastetaylor

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:38 am

Well, you have received alot of good advice. I love my Taylor. It may be alittle pricey with a tag of about 1000 but really worth it. I love my Taylor Auditorium 214. However, I do wish I had boughten it with the pickup. It's good for me because it is a small body guitar and the neck feel good for my small hands. And I love the sound.

NemasteTaylor

suziko

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:45 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but when you say you wish you'd "bought it with the pickup" does that mean you wish you'd bought the acoustic/electric version of it? It looks like (from guitarcenter.com) the ac/el version runs about $100 more. Should I seriously consider getting that over the plain acoustic?

Lavallee

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi Suzi, I use a Yamaha APX 900 . It is made for fingerpicking. It is thinner and have a smaller body overall. It is electro accoustic. It cost about $900 but you can get the APX 700 (acoustic only) for maybe $750. Here are two videos showing the guitar.

One of me (I am 5'6" (and almost this wide these days ;) ) so that you can have a perspective of the guitar. I used a Flip camera and the sound rendering was pretty poor. The other video is from Anton (Yamaha 48) who is taller and thinner than me so you will have a diffrent pespective. I think the electro/acoustic is worth the value even if you do not use the pickup often. When you will need it you can have the choice to plug it in directly and benefit from the pickup adjustment. Also this guitar sounds way more powerful when it is plugged in.When it is accoustic only the sound is weaker than the regular size guitar but has the benefit to be easier on the family.

Marc

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum?fun ... 6&id=11375

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum?fun ... 6&id=11846

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:27 pm

suziko wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but when you say you wish you'd "bought it with the pickup" does that mean you wish you'd bought the acoustic/electric version of it? It looks like (from guitarcenter.com) the ac/el version runs about $100 more. Should I seriously consider getting that over the plain acoustic?
Its all personal choice , me i'd go with the option of A/electric. Its best 'factory fitted' IMHO. Plus to get retro fit of good quality by a Luthier can be expensive. The A/E option gives you just that the options straightaway. Next though you go looking at amps, then effects then... lol. Serious though as I say going A/E at start gives the option immediately, and no expensive luthier costs down the road. Remember a straight Acoustic might just not be designed entirely with electrics in mind either so adding on retrowise might not always be good. If you were particulalry handy you can convert a acoustic yourself by buying cheap passive piezos and placing under the bridge with super glue opr velcro and drilling a hole for jack through the base of the guitar (not for the faint of heart though)dubious quality though. Best to try under saddle piezos if you're going to do that and thats another story again not for faint of heart taking drills to your pride an joy and drilling through the bridge and routing out saddle groove to get right intonation!!

Phew I digressed a bit sorry. But in summary me i'd buy a Grand Auditorium cutaway style and ensure it comes with factory fitted electrics. The body unplugged will give good sound yet you got the options

cheers
Chas

suziko

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks, Chas, that's really helpful information. I hadn't even considered getting an acoustic/electric before, but I'm thinking I should at least consider it now. I'm going to go play some different models this week, and will hopefully find something that suits me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic