Good Small-Sized Guitar

suziko

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:26 am

Chas, Oooh, that sure is pretty! Are they sold in the US? What's the price range?

One other general question: when I go into my guitar store to look at smaller guitars, what do I ask? I mean, can I say, "Do you have any triple-zero sized Martin guitars?" What's the correct way to phrase this? I don't want to sound like a complete newbie.

I sure wish some TGers lived in Wisconsin to go with me!

aitch

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:40 am

Suzi. I was in the same boat with my Epiphone Dread. I was dead set on one of the Martin 000-15 series guitars and ended up getting the SWOMGT. I got it through Maury's Music for right at the price you are willing to pay. If you e-mail him for his best price, he will come off of the advertised price. I don't regret my purchase at all, in fact, I'm liking my little Martin more each day.

suziko

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 am

Aitch- thanks! I'm checking out Maury's Music, thanks to your and Gary's recommendation. One question- did you find a place locally to play the SWOMGT before buying it online? I think I'd be nervous buying something I hadn't first played.

goldleaf

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:23 am

Suzi, did you want the cutaway and the electronics, don't remember if you mentioned that or not. Gary.

suziko

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 am

Funny, I was just talking about this with Al. I think I just want a regular acoustic guitar (not acoustic/electric). Cutaway is appealing, for the reason that I often have a hard time getting at those high frets (eg. the beginning riff from Brown Eyed Girl is a challenge to play on my current guitar). I like the look of the Martin 00x1 Java Mahogany, but it's not a cutaway. But maybe i'll have to compromise?

aitch

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:25 am

I had played a few Martin OM's at GC's around home, but no SWOMGT's. I did, however, listen/compare soundclips from various Martins at The Podium's website. I will admit to holding my breath, but I have no regrets.

goldleaf

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Suzi, I have found that most of the guitars with the single cutaway usually come with electronics. It seems there are always some compromises you have to make when buying a nice guitar. I would suggest going to a music store and play a few guitars w/ & w/o the cutaway. You may find it is a large compromise to make, the cutaway allows you to play many songs in the higher frets much easier. From my personal POV I can find several nice guitars that sound really great w/ the cutaway, I can't really imagine what benefit would make me compromise away the single cutaway and be limited on what songs I could play. Just my opinion. If you are concerned about electronics requiring cutting a hole in the side to mount the adjustments, the Guild had the cutaway, no hole in the guitar for electroncs and has great acoustics. It is Indian rosewood back & side and spruce top. If you like the rosewood, which is usually more expensive.

Suzi, check out this guitar@ www.ksmusic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=582
Check out the close up pics @ detailed description. Gary

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:30 pm

suziko wrote:
Chas, Oooh, that sure is pretty! Are they sold in the US? What's the price range?

One other general question: when I go into my guitar store to look at smaller guitars, what do I ask? I mean, can I say, "Do you have any triple-zero sized Martin guitars?" What's the correct way to phrase this? I don't want to sound like a complete newbie.

I sure wish some TGers lived in Wisconsin to go with me!
$2999NZ

tovo

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:29 pm

$2999NZ
....about 10 bucks US! Good deal. (OK slightly more)

askeyst

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Check out the Baby Martin or Baby Taylor about $400 new. Good luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic