How stupid is it to buy online?

dennisg

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:45 pm

So, here's the situation: After playing a bunch of guitars at my local shops, I'm giving some serious thought to buying a Taylor 410-CE. Assuming I could buy it cheaper online than I could locally, does it make much sense to do that? Are there enough variances from guitar to guitar that I'd be a lot smarter to make sure I can physically get my hands on the exact guitar I buy? Or are Taylors going to be pretty consistent? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for your help, lads and lassies.

- Dennis

acoustom

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Dennis,
I think it makes total sense if you know exactly the guitar you want to take a look on E-bay and some of the online stores to see if you can save some money. There's always the chance that the one you played in the store is an outstanding example of that guitar and that that one particular guitar has the magic that none of the others from Taylor have, but it's not likely. Especially a Taylor. They're pretty consistent from guitar to guitar. Best of luck. Tom

acoustom

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:55 pm

To answer your tag line question, how stupid is it to buy online......I've never bought a guitar from a store. Everything I have was purchased online and I love my guitars. Tom

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Dennis:

Makes great sense if you are sure about the make and model. Just double check the on-line reputation of whoever you buy it from. I purchased a Baby Talyor from "Southpaw Guitars" in Houston, TX (I live in CA). They have a great reputation, and they came through wonderfully for me. Plus, most places still have return policies if there are problems. Kind of a hassle to handle that on-line though.

I think you will be fine. Plus, you could save a few bucks!

Cheers!

MJ

B)

goldleaf

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:04 pm

If you are pretty certain about the guitar you want to buy and it's a well known brand, Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Ibanez, Gretch, the guitars really should be pretty consistent, & if there is something that you just don't like about the specific guitar you buy online, they usually have from a 15 to 60 day return policy. I've sent back 2 guitars I bought online, one from Musiciansfriend.com and the other from Sams guitars and have had no problem getting an exchange and a refund. Gary

aitch

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:15 pm

I've had nothing but good experiences in buying online. From all I've heard about Taylor's consistent quality, I'd think that'd be a very safe online purchase. Good luck in whatever you decide.

tovo

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:18 pm

G'day Dennis,

Firstly I have a 410CE and I love it, I'm sure you will to.

I don't really have anything against buying online but I will never again buy a guitar that I haven't played. I agree with the other guys that the best brands are very consistent in build but you need to have the guitar in your hands and get a good feel for it in my opinion. I bought a Maton (quality Australian brand with a very solid reputation) online and although it was as described when I got it when I played it I was disappointed and I had played that model in a store. If you can save some bucks buying online that's cool but if you can test out the guitar first that's better. It's a lot of your hard-earned money to invest. As goldleaf said, if you are buying from a store online and they have a return policy you are fairly safe. If however you are buying on ebay and the seller stipulates "no returns" I would avoid that like the plague.

Good luck man.

NKenny

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:20 pm

I played a bunch at Guitar center, decided on a Taylor 314 CE. I had a 20% off coupon for Musicians Friend so I bought it on line. Saved about $350 and the guitar is fantastic. If you did not like the one you get you can return it, but the shipping can get expensive. I think Guitar center also owns Musicians Friend but they have different deals.

Kenny

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm

I bought my resonator from Folkofthewood an online store it took ages for delivery (I am on the other side of the world though). There service was great and they ofered return service. I also bought my Tak 12 on an NZ auction, that was risky, but the outcome was good cos it was a top end guitar and the seller didn't realise that so I got a great deal saving literally thousands!

If they say no exchange I wouldn't go there ! BUt most top end guitars are of consistent build and quality so thats not so much the issue. But you still can't beat the opportunity to play it first.

AndyT

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:26 pm

It's not stupid to buy a guitar online if you are buying your first or maybe even an upgrade guitar. But, I have been to GC and played several of the same model and heard differences in each guitar. I had also noticed fit and finish differences. I would want to buy the EXACT guitar that I wanted. That had the exact sound I wanted, with the fit and finish I wanted with no blemishes. Of course, this is only my opinion.
I bought my Zagar online from the Zager site several years ago. And it is a wonderful guitar. So, you can if you are lucky get the guitar you want without any flaws being bought site unseen and with out personaly playing that exact guitar.

PG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic