How stupid is it to buy online?

musicdoc522

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:31 pm

I have gotten some great deals on acoustic guitars online, but I always buy from reputable dealers- Notableguitars.com for Larrivees, Musiciansfriend.com for Taylor, Gibson, Martin. Maurys guitars, MYFAvoriteguitars, musiciansbuy.com and Trinity Guitars for Martin. They are all reputable and have fair return policies. Check out their websites. It is best to know what you are buying and if you can play it in a store that really helps, however I have been buying smaller body guitars and many of the large stores carry mostly dreadnaughts and have very few of the smaller body guitars.

Ed

dennisg

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 pm

First, thanks so much to all of you fine folks who replied. I really value your opinions, so much so that I spent hours investigating a dozen or so online sources. What's interesting is that virtually every online store I checked is selling the Taylor 410ce for the exact same price: $1799. That's the same price I can buy it for at my local Seattle Guitar Center. So there doesn't seem to be any savings involved by buying online. I'm kind of surprised.

- Dennis

NKenny

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 pm

If you sign up at Guitar center for their mailings you will get a 15% off coupon now and then. With the holidays coming they always send them. That way you will save a couple hundred bucks. Even if you do not get a coupon talk to the salesman, they will always drop about 10%. Its true all stores and reputable on line stores seem to have a fixed price. Always better to see and play if you can.

Kenny

tovo

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:02 pm

Don't feel too bad Dennis, the Oz dollar is about 90cents US and that guitar retails for $3500 in Australia! (although you can bargain much better). I suspect if you gave the on-line retailer a call you would get a better price than what is listed.

mike_t57

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Dennis, I'd have to echo what everyone else has said. If you know the exact guitar you're interested in, there is nothing wrong with purchasing online. Just over a week ago I purchased a Taylor 816ce from Sweetwater.com. Had a great buying experience with them. After I received it, they even gave me a courtesy call to make sure everything was fine with the shipment and I was satisfied. Good luck!

Mike

goldleaf

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:14 am

Dennis, a lot of music stores will match the on-line stores price, maybe not all of them but I know the one in my one horse town (Grass Valley, CA)will. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic