String gauge: light or medium

dennisg

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 pm

I've been lusting for a Taylor, and came across a used 2005 614ce in flawless condition for $1999. That's about a grand less than new ones.

But I digress.

Looking at the Taylor catalog, I noticed that they recommend light-gauge strings for their Grand Auditorium guitars. Why is that? Since the Grand Aud has the same dimensions as their Dred, which uses medium-gauge strings, I'm just wondering what determines the string gauge of a particular guitar.

Next question: what happens if you put medium-gauge strings on a guitar for which light-gauge strings are recommended?

And, a final question: someone bought me a load of medium-gauge strings a couple of years ago. Do stores generally take them back in trade for other strings?

Thanks in advance for your help, lads and lassies.

- Dennis

midnight rider

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello;

I seem to get great sounds out of my guitars and I use lite strings. But to each his own. I guess It depends on the sound your are looking for.

goldleaf

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Dennis I don't think the Light or Medium strings on a Taylor would make any difference, it might possibly change the flatness of the neck if it had mediums on it for a long time then switch to light guage, but at worst you might need to take 1/2 turn on your neck tension rod to compensate & even the need to do that is unlikely. Check out this guitar at this link, it is one of my personal favorites for around $1,800. Gary

www.ksmusic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=582

BigBear

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:38 pm

I've had three Taylors and I used 0.012 Medium Lights Cleartone or D'Addarios on all of them. Lighter strings don't sound as good to me unless I'm amplified and Mediums are a little heavy for bends. But it truly is a matter of personal preference. No question lighter strings put less pressure and the guitar.

Cheers!:cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic