What Songs Are You Working On?

BigBear

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:28 pm

This thread went around months ago but with so many new members and so much new material I'm curious what TG/TARGET songs have caught your ear and you find worth investing valuable practice time learning.

I made a commitment to myself to learn Windy & Warm. When I started in TARGET it was so far over my head that I just laughed and said "someday". Well, someday came and while I've made great progress, it remains a challenging project.

What I like however is that as I make progress with W&W, the other, less challenging songs, seem more accessible. "If I can get through W&W I can play that song!". It's a confidence thing I believe.

I'm also working on Still You Turn Me On and Is There Anybody Out There? My arpeggios are getting better!!

So what are you working on?

Cheers!! :cheer:

suziko

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Bear,

Great idea, reviving this topic. I like hearing what others are working on. As for me, I want to improve my fingerpicking, so I'm working on both Dust in the Wind and Landslide, with the intention of hopefully getting them good enough that I could post a video of one or the other in the next month. I like to pick a new song that has some technique in it that I don't know, and then when I get frustrated I switch to an "easy" strumming-type song for a while until I'm ready to challenge myself again.

I'm also working on The Needle and the Damage Done. Again, part of what I like about this song is the technique-aspect: hitting notes of a melody while strumming the accompanying chords. Could this song be classified as a flat-pick style song? Of course, I also picked it because it's an awesome song and one that I'm happy to practice for hours since it sounds so darn pretty.

Lavallee

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:52 pm

I am working on Babe I'am gonna leave you which will most likely be my next video (should get my new cameras on Friday), I switch to the 2 bass with the thumb keeping the other fingers in home position like Al did. The challenge now is being to switch from the quick strumming of the bridge to the fingerpicking of the interlude. I am also working on Over the hills and far away(probably the second following video) I am at the section 4 of Windy and warm. As Bear, I am also on "Is there anybody out there putting" emphasis on the clarity of the notes and working on Neil fingering in the Am chord progression. Still trying to correct classical gas from the previous video. I am also working on California dreamin (fingerpicking)and Bron-Yr-Stomp

Marc

suziko

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Marc- you might want to add another song or two. You don't sound busy enough! ;)

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:21 pm

I am tackling a few right now.....

"Green Eyes" - by Coldplay

"Pour Me Another Tequila" by Eddie Rabbitt

"Poncho and Lefty" by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard (an old favorite of mine)

Finishing up with "I Love You" by Climax Blues Band - Hope to post my Chord Chart and Solos soon to share what I have come up with.

There must be a list a mile long of what I want to learn....... Somebody help me.....lol

:silly:

Lavallee

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I actually get bored to do the same song for 15 minutes. So I try to do 5 minutes per song and then change, and I parctice for about an hour a day during the week when I am home and a couple of hours a day during the weekend.The one I mentionned I bring back in the loop more than once during the practice to move ahead with them. I know more or less about 40 songs (mostly accoustic by electric also) but some you need to play every now and then so you do not forget (maintaining the songs as Neil says). So it migth seem a lot, however I like to tackle many things at once but unfortunately I do not always finish them :(

Marc

tovo

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm working mainly on 'Still the Same' and boring my kids to death by playing it constantly at home and listening to Bob Seger in the car all the time. Also 'Landslide' and trying to get a more bluesy feel to 'House of the Rising Sun'.

jayswett

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Last week, I started Never Going Back Again by Fleetwood Mac, and I must say it's kicking my butt. I have made frighteningly little progress with the fingerpicking technique. No progress at all, in fact. The chords aren't too bad, but the fingerpicking technique is new to me and just isn't happening.

I've also been working on the Landslide solo for a while. I need to re-focus myself on that one as I think it's something I can get if I work on it. Never Going Back Again might be a pipe dream.

Rest assured, I'll keep slugging away...

bobk35

Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:01 pm

I'm working on several:

Black Bird - it really builds the callus on my pinky.
From The Beginning - Working on the picking styles.
Old Man - Percussion and muting.

New challenges:

Fire & Rain
Scarborough Fair

Bob

lmc831

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi all.

I am working on: Is there anybody out there; Dust in the Wind; Here comes the Sun; Blackbird and Romanza and now Fire and Rain. The second part of Romanza is a challenge... Some of those finger stretches are a struggle.

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic