What Songs Are You Working On?

michelew

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:41 am

Here are mine:

Blackbird
House of the rising sun
Dust in the wind (still mastering the Dm7 change)
Romanza (first section)
Landslide
Roxanne
F-Barre chord songs (Midnight train to Georgia, Nights in white Saturn, COuntry Roads)
Dear Prudence
Started Hallelujah
Started Here comes the sun - stopped decided to conquer the above first

All at different stages.

Love it. Still watching other teaching videos and thinking 'gotta learn that' but trying to focus....

It's all good!

heyjoe

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:45 am

Good idea Bear :cheer:

I'm currently working on a 5 songs, in addition to working on music theory, correct hand and body position, note recognition, scales, and I also have a practise routine purely for fingerstyle which I do every day.

The 5 songs, in order of which ones are closest to being " finished", if you ever can finish learning a song are:
Strong Enough
Blackbird
Here Comes the Sun
Imagine
Classical Gas

I promised TGJim on a TG Live episode months and months ago that I'd record Here comes the Sun when I got it to a decent standard(at the time I struggled to play the first measure), its getting close now, hopefully a few more weeks of practise and I'll be doing a video.

I've already had a look at songs that I'll be moving on to after I'm happy with these too, Windy and Warm will be one of them, but I need to be a better fingerpicker before I attempt this one, hence the work I'm doing now.

Joe

jayswett

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:24 pm

I learned a new non-Target song today called "That Year" by Brandi Carlile. Not very difficult, and it sounds nice. Tomorrow, back to Never Going Back Again, Landslide, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and Dear Prudence.

haoli25

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm following Neil Hogan's lead and brushing up on some songs that I have not played in many years. I'm in full Allman Brothers mode right now and doing my best to shake some rust off of some Duane Allman and Dickey Betts classics. I'm working on just four songs; Sweet Melissa, Midnight Rider, One Way Out, and In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. Did I mention I am having a blast too?

Bill Image

cabro

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:35 pm

My main project right now is "Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World" on the uke. Also in the rotation are "From The Beginning", "Needle And The Damage Done", "Brain Damage", and a campfire tune or two.

Tribe01

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 pm

It is interesting how many folks all around the globe are hacking away on the same songs!
My five are...
Never Going Back again
Brain Damage
Babe, I'm Going To Leave You (trying to relearn fingerpicking, turns out I have been using all the wrong fingers all these tears)
Norwegian Wood (can't quite get the rythm down, the picking is no problem)
Still the Same (not too hard but I love playing it)

Does anyone else have trouble remembering all the chords of a song, especially the bridges? I must be getting old.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Here are mine, I forget some of course, 'cause you ain't got all day:

Maintenance and improvement:

Blackbird (hard to synchronize lyrics in some parts)
Hallelujah (I'm forcing myself to use the "four fingered" G chord)
Brain Damage (I don't take it personal)
Tuesday Afternoon (hypnotic)
Don't Fear the Reaper (Neil's lesson is with pick, I find it's a great fingerpicking exercise)
Norwegian Wood
Needle and Damage Done

Starting from scratch:

Fire and Rain
Old Man
also, Neil's basic theory as refresher

jayswett

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Despite my earlier post indicating my intentions for today, I worked on none of those songs and instead spent my day on Scarborough Fair. I've found that I have absolutely no self control when it comes to enjoyment of this site.

musicdoc522

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:21 am

HI Jay,
I saw her perform that song just a few weeks ago. I am a big fan.

Ed (musicdoc522)

musicdoc522

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:26 am

I am currently working on Ripple. The intro is the hard part, but is getting better. I am also working on Here Comes the Sun, Dust in the Wind, Margaritaville (pretty much have got that down), If YOu Want to Sing Out, Sing out (couldnt resist learning it after the repetitive commercial), Who'll Stop the Rain, Time in A Bottle, and Vincent (pretty much have that one down). I need to stick with this and not add any more, as I also dont want to be guilty of knowing parts of many songs. There are so many Target and campfire songs and shorts that I want to play, but it is important to set some limits.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic