What Songs Are You Working On?

bethroe56

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 pm

That works for me too, Marc.
Boredom factor can kick in pretty quickly for me.
As I get closer to learning a song I will spend
more time on it to move it along.

Windy and Warm
Romanza
Hallelujah

You've Got a Friend
Fire and Rain
and about 5 others
in the 'trying it on' stage

beth

TGNesh

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Fun topic! It seems like I always have a whole slew of songs I'm working on -- so, at the risk of over sharing, here is the whole (I think :ohmy: ) list of TG songs I've been playing with.

TG songs I'm working on (in approx order of time being spent):
Old Man
Romanza
Needle and the Damage Done
Norwegian Wood

TG songs I'm noodling with and will get more serious with soon I hope:
Hallelujah
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
I'm Yours
Just a Song Before I Go

TG songs I'm (mostly) comfortable with for now:
Fire and Rain (been playing this for a while now...)
Sweet Baby James
I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Here Comes the Sun (with pick)
Teach Your Children
Uncle John's Band
Ripple
Margaritaville
Leavin' on a Jet Plane
House of the Rising Sun

TG songs I want to get to someday:
Way too many to list!

This list doesn't include some campfire songs that I've watched and played along with but haven't (yet) gone back to. And, FWIW, what I'm actually working on most right now -- at the request of a good friend -- is a great but challenging arrangement for solo guitar of Going To California. Once I get this down, he's going to take me out to dinner (I took him out when he shot 18 holes sub-80 ... Qid Pro Quo, though shooting in the 70's is certainly harder :) ).

BigBear

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 pm

fjvdb wrote:
Fun topic! It seems like I always have a whole slew of songs I'm working on -- so, at the risk of over sharing, here is the whole (I think :ohmy: ) list of TG songs I've been playing with.

This list doesn't include some campfire songs that I've watched and played along with but haven't (yet) gone back to. And, FWIW, what I'm actually working on most right now -- at the request of a good friend -- is a great but challenging arrangement for solo guitar of Going To California. Once I get this down, he's going to take me out to dinner (I took him out when he shot 18 holes sub-80 ... Qid Pro Quo, though shooting in the 70's is certainly harder :) ).

That's quite a list! I tried to manage that many songs but for me there just aren't enough hours in the day to stay sharp on them. I try to play every song I'm working on every day, all the way thru because Neil's definition of an intermediate player is someone who knows a lot of songs but never plays them all the way thru. And I have been guilty as charged! But playing all the verses takes awhile.

When you get Going to California down will you post a video so we can see it? That would be great! Sounds like a good friend and a heck of a golfer! What was his handicap when he shot sub-70? Please don't tell us he was a 29! LOL!
:lol:
Good post, here's some karma for you!!

Cheers! :cheer:

galsteien

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:10 pm

First im working on stoping grinning everytime i feel the hard bits of skin on my finger tips, feeling proud of my guitar war wound, knowing that those hard bits of skin mean that the practicing is starting to pay off.

before starting here ive been picking away at these:

House of the rising son (finger pick version): - come on it has to be in the repertoire ;)

Unforgiven

Nothing else matters

Dust in the Wind

yes i know wildly overambitious but i still have the enthusiasm of the noob

Time to concentrate on Target. Lesson, video one now ;)

Lavallee

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:10 pm

bethroe56 wrote:
That works for me too, Marc.
Boredom factor can kick in pretty quickly for me.
As I get closer to learning a song I will spend
more time on it to move it along.

Windy and Warm
Romanza
Hallelujah

You've Got a Friend
Fire and Rain
and about 5 others
in the 'trying it on' stage

beth
Beth, I think that there is more than getting bored, if you play the same song or just a few, over and over. The greater the variety, the faster you learn because in every song that you improve, then you improve in all the other songs (dexterity, rhythm,etc..)

Marc

karl01

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm

1. Never going back again - made some progress this week
2. Black bird
3. Windy and warn - just starting.

Karl

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Well more work equals less guitar time. :angry:

In no particular order:
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Old Man
Fire & Rain
Something
Never Going Back Again

BTW- In response to Jay's frustration about 'Never Going Back Again'.. I've worked on this song since first finding Neil's youtube teaser lesson before the full lesson was available. I still don't totally have the song down, but I have made progress. As you know, it'll come if you stick with it. Might even post a video of it to show where I'm at..

Lavallee

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 pm

BigBear wrote:
Sounds like a good friend and a heck of a golfer! What was his handicap when he shot sub-70? Please don't tell us he was a 29! LOL!
Hey Bear, thanks for the Karma!

This was 2 years ago, and he now shoots in the 70's regularly - no handicap. And he has a helluva fast ball...

mark

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:42 am

I'm like some of the others and like to work on lots of things at the same time

Here's my list

Old Man
Fire and Rain
Romanza
Classical Gas
and an arrangement of Jerusalem

AndyT

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:32 am

I have about 5 songs I'm really working on, but none of them are Target songs. I use the target lessons to learn the new techniques and then apply them to my Praise and Worship songs. Not always an easy way to do it, but its working. I can play bits and pieces of quite a few Target songs. Now I just need to spend the time to learn them all the way through. LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic