What Was Your First Guitar?

BigBear

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:57 pm

No one forgets their very first guitar. You either loved it or hated it. Mine was a Harmony, probably sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co.. The actions was so high that it was literally unplayable above the third fret. Sound? It sounded better as a drum when we all tried to play Wipeout!

I hope some poor schmuck used it to start a nice fire on a cold winters night ! LOL! :silly:

What was your first guitar?

chacho

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:03 pm

BigBear wrote:
No one forgets their very first guitar. You either loved it or hated it. Mine was a Harmony, probably sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co.. The actions was so high that it was literally unplayable above the third fret. Sound? It sounded better as a drum when we all tried to play Wipeout!

I hope some poor schmuck used it to start a nice fire on a cold winters night ! LOL! :silly:

What was your first guitar?
I was looking at Harmony guitars the other day....I guess they have come a long way these were quite nice.

My first guitar was a Fender Strat. 18 more electric guitars later and I just (This week) bought my first acoustic. Not being too sure what I wanted but wanted something NOW I bought a Taylor Big Baby. It has great sound and when I decide what upgrade I want it will make a great camping guitar.

Mike

Lavallee

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Mine was quite a good one: a Norman B6 made in Quebec in 1978, Canada (now under Godin). I sold it to go to a party in 2002 when I returned to college(but it was a good one as I cannot remember most of it). :silly:

Marc

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Mine was a Fender Strat. Still have it. I've made a few mods to it, and I will probably keep it forever (sentimental reasons).

O.K., this next part is a test for TG Mike. Image

BigBear

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Mine was a Fender Strat. Still have it. I've made a few mods to it, and I will probably keep it forever (sentimental reasons).

O.K., this next part is a test for TG Mike.

MJ- that's a nice guitar to start on!! When I starting out everyone played Fender Mustangs! No one could afford a real Strat!

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Found it used in a nice little guitar store in Santa Barbara. Got it, a gig bag and a small practice amp for about $550.00. Thought it was a great deal. Figured if I did not start to use it or if I did not like it, I could sell it for a profit...... Always looking to the future.....lol

Now I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

I replaced the single coil pick-ups with Stacked Humbuckers by Tom Anderson Guitarworks.

I then installed a switch to cancel the humbucking when i wanted to get a bit more of the single coils sound. It is really cool. Then i replaced the stock tuners with Sperzel locking tuners. That was a good mod, it stays in tune so much better now. I don't really need to tune it all that often unless I am doing some solos with lots of bends. I think i have some picks of it in my photo album. I also have an Epiphone Les paul Std. and my favorite baby, a Tom Anderson Hollow Cobra S (what a beaut).

:laugh:

goldleaf

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:26 pm

A bit embarrassing as a first guitar, I guess, but mine was/is a Larrivee 03R-OM. My wife totally spoiled me for my 40th birthday. Beautiful, I love it. I've only been playing now for about 10 mos, so its only that old -- but I really do think having a nice guitar like this has kept me extra motivated. I'm now finally feeling like I can play a song or two that are almost worthy of the sound it makes. Plus, I love that matte, satin finish on it -- understated and classy. I love this guitar! :cheer:

BigBear

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:32 pm

fjvdb wrote:
A bit embarrassing as a first guitar, I guess, but mine was/is a Larrivee 03R-OM. My wife totally spoiled me for my 40th birthday. Beautiful, I love it. I've only been playing now for about 10 mos, so its only that old -- but I really do think having a nice guitar like this has kept me extra motivated. I'm now finally feeling like I can play a song or two that are almost worthy of the sound it makes. Plus, I love that matte, satin finish on it -- understated and classy. I love this guitar! :cheer:

Man, you wanna trade wives? You got a good one! Mine wanted to sell my guitars until I told her what they are worth! I agree, if everyone started out with a good guitar with a nice action, more people would stay with it! But most people buy El Cheapo, get frustrated because it seems impossible to play (it is!) and end up discouraged and quit.

Cheers! :cheer:

goldleaf

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:34 pm

My sister gave me a $15 beater when I was 10, don't remember the name. Got my first electric guitar, think it was called a "Melody" for christmas when I was 12 and some off brand amp. Wish I had of picked up a Fender back then but it was a present from the parents and it lasted me through be garage band period. Gary

itfc1959

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:40 pm

BigBear wrote:
Man, you wanna trade wives? You got a good one!
Agreed... thanks for the offer, but I'll stick with her as long as she'll have me! ;)
... if everyone started out with a good guitar with a nice action, more people would stay with it! But most people buy El Cheapo, get frustrated because it seems impossible to play (it is!) and end up discouraged and quit.
Agreed again ... I did have it set up, but they barely changed anything -- it came with super comfy action out of the case. Great for my clumsy, over-gripping left hand. I went into this "guitar phase" with a lot of motivation, but I'm sure this guitar has really helped to keep the fire stoked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic