Performance anxiety - posting videos

suziko

Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 pm

I have played many, many times if front of an audience. I am always nevous until I start playing. Nerves are a natural way of saying you are out of your comfort zone. The only way to get over it is to keep doing it. If you worry about every little mistake, you will tense up and just make more mistakes. If you make a mistake just keep playing, don't stop or slow down or re-do that part of the song. Just act like everything is great. 99% of the people will never know you made a mistake anyway. Enjoy your playing, dom't make it work, make it fun. That way you will lose the stress and get in a good groove. and your playing will flow .

AndyT

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Excellent advice Paul. Just try and forget about the camera. Have fun with it.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:02 pm

These experiences are part of the magic of learning at TG, Michele. We find ourselves doing things we've never done before with people we never would have known before. When you've posted, it will be a blast however your performance turns out and you've already heard from so many of these really supportive folks. I'm one of the lucky ones who's even had a video response from Neil... now that really is a blast!
I did just one or two takes each time. My first try took 10 mins from start to finish. I didn't even try to be too good let alone perfect and that took most of the pressure off. If that sounds cool, I'm not really, in fact I was petrified of performing when I first tried to play in front of people. Took me a very long time to get over it. To this day, having to perform to an audience makes me very uncomfortable and I blackout on chord sequences or even lyrics (never happens alone). But playing along side people who join in or contribute, I find much easier. So I manipulate the situation to be more of a sing-a-long or join in event and that feels completely different. You need to get people on your side (not opposite you like an audience where you give and they consume). I took the same attitude on the video. Best is when you just play and someone else films but doesn't tell you when it for real. No pressure that way, well, not too much :-)!

I'm very happy to award you you first karma point for your post here... and for your up-coming video.... so I've "paid" in advance. Now you can put out the worst video EVER in the history of web videos... and you're still ahead! :-).

goldleaf

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Suzanne, I'm in the process of becoming familiar with my new videocam and I am finding a lot of things I need to do just to record, a backdrop, setting up the camcorder & I have a plug in mic, where to place it. I did a few short videos last night just to see how it came out. I am sure thankful that I can do as many retakes as I need to get it somewhat decent, I am finding that watching and listening to myself the videocam doesn't lie it shows me every little mistake I make. I don't count those little things when I'm practicing so it's almost perfect, I deceive myself I think is what it is. I hope to have a vid out this week with all it's flaws but it will be a start. I appreciate everybody's vid's even if they are not the greatest because they are trying and progressing. I feel other TGer's will give me the same benefit. Good luck, we are with you. Gary

suziko

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Michele,

One other thing I wanted to add to my earlier post: one thing that helped me a lot was letting go of the idea that I needed to "impress" people with my video. Most people who have posted videos (maybe everyone) are more advanced than me, so I had to just be okay with putting myself out there and being like, "Hey, this is where I'm at." And TG members are really wonderful; both supportive and helpful. My main goal with posting videos is to give myself a motivation to practice and to get feedback on my playing (since I tend to play alone).

nemastetaylor

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:34 pm

it's ok. just record and if you don't like it ....do it again.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:33 am

Suziko, I think what you said about accepting your self and the level you are playing at and not being concerned about impressing other people is really important. I think that is something that stopped me from playing and practicing for a long time. I think it is something that stops a lot of beginners from staying with it through learning the basics, and feeling that other people around you, need to be impressed and feeling self consciousness about your playing. Sometimes people that care about you can be critical, even in a joking way but that is enough to stop a lot of people from learning how to play any instrument. That is why what you said is very important IMHO. Thanks for bringing it up. I think that is one of the best things about TG, is how positive and supportive everyone is. Gary

michelew

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:48 am

You guys are the best!!!!! All of you have given me excellent advice. I record on my mac so it's not really possible to not be aware of when I start. But, that's OK. I do need to do something about the sound quality. I might need to invest in a cheap mic first. Regardless I'm intending to post something in the next couple of weeks- even if only as a way of seeing my own progress over time. Thanks again. Michele

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:32 am

michelew wrote:
You guys are the best!!!!! All of you have given me excellent advice. I record on my mac so it's not really possible to not be aware of when I start. But, that's OK. I do need to do something about the sound quality. I might need to invest in a cheap mic first. Regardless I'm intending to post something in the next couple of weeks- even if only as a way of seeing my own progress over time. Thanks again. Michele
Good on ya girl, I'm working on trying to do something myself but a CAM is waaay down the list of things to buy right now :(

heyjoe

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:12 am

Hi MicheleW

You've had some great advice from the posts above, all I'd say is too take as long as you need putting a video up,there's no rush, I was very nervous at first and always played better off camera than on camera. I agree with those above who have said to turn your camera on, play anything for a few minutes so you forget about it, and then try a few songs.

I used my webcam to record my videos, also as my guitar is electro acoustic, I ran a cable from the guitar jack to my laptop to record. SHould you need any assistance with recording a video and getting it onto youtube/TG, there are plenty of people on here, including me, who will be happy to help you.

The feedback yoiu receive will be positive and constructive, we all realise that it takes a lot to do a video, even just thinking about doing one is a positive step. I found that watching myself gave me more help than almost anything else- the camera doesn't lie.

Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing your recording.

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic