Performance anxiety - posting videos

michelew

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:21 am

Oh my go! I have an new greater appreciation for all of you brave souls that have posted videos of yourselves playing. This afternoon I've been practising in front of my computer and videoing it in the hope that I can post a video. Well...who knew that my blackbird would turn into a complete mess and that I'd be so nervous. Even before I started recording it feel to bits.

Do you have similar stories? Those of you who have successfully posted a performance, how long did it take you (hours, takes, ...) until you were happy with it? Any tips to calming the nerves?

AndyT

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:30 am

If you can, have someone else hit the record button and not tell you when it's happened.

Or you could start the camera and play the song 5 times or so. Somewhere in there you will have a good take.

How long to get one you like, Likely never. We are always finding room for improvement.

tovo

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:37 am

That's funny Michelle. Yeah it's very nerve-wracking and tunes that you have down cold suddenly turn bad when the video camera goes on. My advice is don't worry too much about getting it down perfectly. Just post a reasonable effort. Nobody on this site is going to get on your case. Don't wait for the perfect take because it won't happen.

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:40 am

I'll let you know when I get a camera. I've a funny feeling it will be quite different from playing a live gig.

michelew

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:49 am

Thanks for the support guys. All good advice. I'll keep doing it until I push through. talk to you soon.

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 am

hello Michelle.

When i make a litle movie from my self,i set the camera on and i starting with playing.
Not in my head that peopel can see me what i do,or hope that everything going good.
Take the guitar and play,when you make a mistake you starting over.
The best recording you heave from that moment can you edditing on your pc.
I have a program the name is Pinnacle,verry good program.

greetz Anton

suziko

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:30 am

Michelle,
Honestly, for my last video I probably did 2 dozen takes before I had one I was (kind of) happy with. Just like you, I could play the song quite well through without the camera, but as soon as I'd hit the "play" button, I fell apart. For me, recording it many times helped to reduce the stress. I finally started to get used to filming it. I still wasn't 100% happy with what I posted, but like Tovo said, you'll probably never be 100% happy with any of the takes. Post one that has the fewest flubs. People understand that it's nerve-wracking. And members who critique aren't going to focus on the flubs. They're going to try to point out more general problems that you can work on (like hand position, strum, rhythm,etc) and also give you encouragement. Lastly, remember that we're all our own worst critics. I can't wait to see your Blackbird! I'm sure it'll be great!

wrench

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:19 am

Michelle,

Most of the comments you get from posting a video will come from people who posted videos themselves. Every one of us knows that the performances on these videos is not the best we have done.

As a newbie myself, I analogize getting the perfect take to an average bowler bowling a perfect game the first time on TV. Ain't gonna happen.

Shoot it and post. We've been there, and like you, we have high respect for posters, and we know that whatever we see isn't the best you can do. But I will also say you will get comments that will help you get better.

Did I mention shoot it and post? I promise I will be among the first responders to give you positive feedback and arms-wide-open support.

You're about to become an international star. How cool is that?

wrench

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:49 am

You're in good company, Michelle. The first video I put up lived up to its name- 'Brain Damage'!! It took me hours to get a take that I liked. Then I realized that I'll never be totally satisfied with it- so I just uploaded it.

It's a lot easier now, as I don't stress about it as much. Do a few and you'll see what I mean.

Looking forward to your vids!

Al

songman52

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi Michelle. To echo Andy "probably never" is right. As the others have said, don't worry about it. People here are helpful and kind, and everybody is at their own stage of development. I'm hoping to be able to post videos within a few months so I can get some help with a few things. I admire you guys who have posted stuff already. Anybody want to bring their camera, laptop or whatever over to my house, come on over! Don't forget your guitar, too and we'll learn from each other.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic