Why do you play guitar??

Tribe01

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Great queston! I have always been drawn to music. I love to listen to all kinds and get a kick out of being able to replicate songs with my own hands.
When I was as young as 5, I remember listening to my older sister's 45's on the family HI-FI (this was in the 70's). She had everything from the Eagles to Bad Company to Grand Funk. At 13 I bought a copy of Van Halen's first album and was blown away. I got my first guitar at 14 and played until I was around 20 years old. My wife bought me a used Yamaha acoustic for our 1st anniversary because she got tired of me talking about missing the guitar. That was 10 years ago and I haven't put it down since. I have also picked up a couple of new guitars, much to my wives chagrin.

songman52

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Hey Andy, you think that's why people ask me "Can you play that thing a little louder! We can still hear the words."? We could have Mike over and listen to Polka.

nemastetaylor

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 pm

I started playing guitar to take my head away from the stress of my career. I was under an extreme amount of stress and almost quit my career. But a friend of mine told me to think about what I use to like to do when I was 9. I thought about it and remembered that when i was 9 I had a little nylon guitar and use to sit and try to play it with my dog by my side. So I ended up buying a big girl Taylor guitar and this old guitar saved me and my career. It's helped to take me away from the stress. I doodle with it and I don't take myself too seriously with it because I am trying to get away from being serious.

Nemaste

cosmicmechanic

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:22 am

Whatever our individual goals may be, playing guitar says:
"I'VE GOT A LIFE", beyond workplace and parental responsibilities.

BUT THERE IS A DOWNSIDE: think of all the TV sitcoms and reality shows
we miss by practicing guitar.

And what will become of us if we sing the lyrics to "Brain Damaged" over and over again ... "The lunatic is in my head ..."

Add to that the callouses, worries about broken fingernails, negotiations with spouse about whether to mow the lawn or sit on it with a guitar.

IT'S DIRTY JOB, BUT SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO IT !!

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:52 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Whatever our individual goals may be, playing guitar says:
"I'VE GOT A LIFE", beyond workplace and parental responsibilities.

BUT THERE IS A DOWNSIDE: think of all the TV sitcoms and reality shows
we miss by practicing guitar.

And what will become of us if we sing the lyrics to "Brain Damaged" over and over again ... "The lunatic is in my head ..."

Add to that the callouses, worries about broken fingernails, negotiations with spouse about whether to mow the lawn or sit on it with a guitar.

IT'S DIRTY JOB, BUT SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO IT !!

Great post! ROFL! TV this fall sucks so it's much easier to turn off the Idiot Box and wail away! And yes, the lunatic is around here somewhere!! And I saw the Red Queen on her head! :silly:

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 am

songman, Yep. Its gotta be!

Chas, Neil, The guy who's not really from England, and the unknown teacher. Had to add the unknown because I know he/she is out there somewhere. Just have not met them yet. But I pretty much put them in that order.

galsteien

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:13 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
[quote]
quote]

This made me fall of chair laffing.

Last nite after wife had sat down and listened to some of my playing she smiled sweetly and said, "You know i've just seen a program on tv, where the wife calls them and they send people out to finish projects that the home handyman started but have stalled" then smiled sweetly.

I spent the rest of last night screwing on kitchen door handles

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:34 am

galsteien wrote:
cosmicmechanic wrote:
quote]

This made me fall of chair laffing.

Last nite after wife had sat down and listened to some of my playing she smiled sweetly and said, "You know i've just seen a program on tv, where the wife calls them and they send people out to finish projects that the home handyman started but have stalled" then smiled sweetly.

I spent the rest of last night screwing on kitchen door handles
This begs a really smartass response but i resist lol cos I've been there done that lol

1robekert

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:20 am

reiver wrote:
......it's funny you should ask, 'cos my wife asks me the same thing every day. Usually as she's getting up to leave the room......Maybe I do it for the peace and quiet!

To be honest, I started playing because I saw girls at parties swoon when guys started strumming on guitars and I thought to myself, I need to try that. round about the same time a friend started playing (he must have had the same idea) and that sparked a burst in enthusiasm and rapid improvement over the first couple of years. I've been playing on and off ever since - and I don't think I've improved at all. Probably can't play anything now that I couldn't have played then.

r
Reminds me of a story a co-worker told me. He goes into his son's dorm room, freshmen year of college. Sees a guitar in the corner. "Son I didn't know you played guitar". Son replies "Don't play guitar..........I use it as a prop"...........and his son just smiles.
Rob

heyjoe

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:03 am

Why do I play?

My dad used to play guitar, and when you're young, you look at what your dad is doing and try to emulate him. I've had guitar addiction syndrome a.k.a going to guitar shops and trying stuff out, for over 25 years, and I'm happily addicted.

For me, playing guitar is a number of things, its a never ending challenge to master new techniques, I know I'll never stop learning new things, and I love that fact..there'll always be something else to work on.

Seeing my hard work paying off is a great boost as well, learning to play challenging parts of songs, a new technique etc etc..its a confidence giver.

Its something I go to if I want to reduce stress as well, and finally...

its having those glorious days when your brain and fingers are working in perfect harmony, when everything you play comes out right, even the hardest piece your working on comes together...days when you put your guitar down and have a huge smile on your face..you all know what I mean...

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic