Why do you play guitar??

BigBear

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Tony- such a good question that I had to stop and think about it for a minute. I absolutely love music. I'm a civil engineer and a strong left brainer. And I don't have a creative bone in my body. But my mother was a concert-level pianist and I can't accept that somewhere down deep there isn't a musician screaming to get out.

But as I get older I realize that playing the guitar is the ultimate getaway from all of life's many challenges. When I play I can't think of anything else but the music. It is total immersion and total escape. And it is like golf, something that I will I never master but with constant work I can get better and literally hear the results.

Plus if I didn't play the guitar I wouldn't have met all you wonderful people! That's reason enough!! Cheers!! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Some great replies. Anton good to have you on your feet (sorta!) On the weekend (it's Monday here now) I took 2 of my boys down to the beach and watched them play while I strummed and thought about how blessed a man can be. It was very cool.

It's really interesting and actually encouraging that very logical people (Engineers like Bear for example) can find a creative expression through guitar. I find that a great thing as well.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm going to steal a first grade kid's comment to answer your great question Tony (from Neil's video of his visit to Kindergarten). Music? You make happiness with it!
I can't think of a better reason to play the guitar and sing than that.
A music theripist friend of mine has the follwing slogan on her business card:
"Weil Musik bewegt!" which means (as Bear was just about to tell y'all), because music moves (or touches) you.
I play because I love to sing songs either for myself or for and with others. If you have ever sat down and sung a song and experienced someone who really can sing join in with harmonies, or someone who can complete your guitar playing with theirs, you know what I mean. Suddenly it's much more than just you playing and singing with someone. Something magical happens and you are are riding a magic carpet on the waves of the vibrations you created. That's why I play.

goldleaf

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:39 pm

I've been around music all my life, my mother played the accordian and piano. My sis is 6 years older than me & we started piano lessons when I was 8. My dad gave me a marching band type of drum around the same time so I beat on that during the same time I was taking piano lessons. My sis gave me a beater guitar for my 10 birthday and I took lessons for 2 years then I got my electric guitar & amp for Christmas when I was 12. I played the guitar with several friends in my neighborhood who also played & we eventually started a band with 2 guitars a bass guitar, drummer, keyboard player and a male and female singers. This lasted from age 16 to 20. The keyboard and female singer came in that latter years. We played a couple gigs a month but I found it is very hard to keep a band together and in agreement on basic things. We didn't have a manager, one of the guitar players father got us a number of gigs at the Navy base in San Diego Officers Club and some other places but no real leadership. My grades in college were suffering and the band era ended for me as other responsibilities took it's place. Playing the electric guitar w/ no back up was a drag so I sold it and bought bought a nylon string classical guitar I still have today. Playing alone, I just never progressed and I played less and less for many years even decades, yikes! AND THEN CAME TG. and a whole new way of learning new songs and a feeling of being part of a group for learning from and for feedback. I have always loved music, especially Guitar Players/singers like James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, GROUPS -CSN&Y, Beatles, I got song books and learned some of each or the above but always ended up discouraged because I wasn't progressing. So my guitar set for months, sometimes years.
Now I have a whole new reason to play. Hopefully make a video or two in the near future. I play the guitar because I can and I appreciate good music and if I can play good music that's even better. TG has regenerated my interest and reason for playing the guitar specifically the steel string acoustic guitar. Gary

AndyT

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm going to have to agree with many of the comments I heard here. Especially songman's comment about covering up my singing! LOL

I love music. Always have. Always wanted to learn the guitar but never had the time or $$$ for a real teacher. Now we have the internet and one of the top 3 guitar teachers ever is my teacher now! How awesome is that? Now I just need to practice more.

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:11 pm

AndyT wrote:
Now we have the internet and one of the top 3 guitar teachers ever is my teacher now! How awesome is that? Now I just need to practice more.
Begs the question Andy who in your opinion are the other two teachers, maybe PM me don't wish to break site protocols etc..

Further to my prvious post on the topic, I believe everyone needs something to occupy their minds and that has to be different from their everyday work. Just to help unwind from day to day chores etc.

tovo

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Great reply Chris! Gary I was reminded of the Bryan Adams song 'summer of 69' when I read your post. It's cool to learn more about all of you guys.

Chas, I reckon you are spot on. I really feel I NEED a release and interest outside of what can be a pretty stressful job. Guitar is such a great release.

heyjoe

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:02 pm

How bout because John Cougar said so

Mike

haoli25

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 pm

I started playing in 1965. I went through the band thing, but it wasn't for me. It is certainly a hard way to make a living, particularly early on or unless you are very lucky. Even though the music business didn't appeal to me, I've always enjoyed playing. I still do and it's just for me. There is also a bit of an ego stroke also in playing and practicing. I will never be as good a guitarist as Eric Clapton is, but I can play a few of his songs as well as he does. That goes for a few of my other guitar heroes as well. For me, at this stage of my life, that's pretty damn good and like I said, it is something I really enjoy doing. Like Tony, it is also a great stress reliever too.

Bill

reiver

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm

......it's funny you should ask, 'cos my wife asks me the same thing every day. Usually as she's getting up to leave the room......Maybe I do it for the peace and quiet!

To be honest, I started playing because I saw girls at parties swoon when guys started strumming on guitars and I thought to myself, I need to try that. round about the same time a friend started playing (he must have had the same idea) and that sparked a burst in enthusiasm and rapid improvement over the first couple of years. I've been playing on and off ever since - and I don't think I've improved at all. Probably can't play anything now that I couldn't have played then.

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic