couple of questions for those of you in the TARGET program...

mattroutley

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:46 am

hey everyone,

I consider myself to be an intermediate guitar player and am very close to joining the TARGET program but had a couple of questions first:

I am completely self taught so i know a lot of chords and can play quite a few songs but when it comes to theory i have no idea! I am interested in learning scales and how to work out new chords and also deciding what key a song is in etc.

So for my first Question: does Neil cover guitar theory in the target program?

Second question is: I am 28 years old so a lot of the videos on here are teaching how to play songs before my generation - some of which i like but i would love to learn some more recent hits. Is this also a possibility within the target program or am i a little young for the required audience?

Thanks a lot in advance for any response,

Matt

heatndude

Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:06 am

Hello Matt, Im also younger than most of these folks. I new nothing about the guitar when I started the Target program at its start up. Now I have been practicing with a experienced band and they keep asking me to come back so It must be working. I actually enjoy a lot of tunes Neil teaches ! Did not think I would. In every lesson he goes over the theroy of the song, scale etcc.. I use this or transfer this info. to other songs I try to learn. If you follow Neil you may not like the tune but you will sure learn a bunch that will help play almost any style of music (with practice of course) I practice everyday for about 2 hours sometimes more. Most of the folks here are older but very young at heart and they have a lot of experience. The best thing is, they are all willing to help at any time. The TG live sessoins are great because you feel like you have Neil all to yourself to answer questions. I would not hesitate to join while the price is still right, you can always cancel if you dont like it ! Keep playing

Mark

jayswett

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 am

My understanding is that at some point there will be a new area within the Target Program teaching specifically music theory. Not sure what the Principals are thinking in terms of time frame or organization, but I think I can safely say many of us are looking forward to it. If it's half as good as the other material on the site, it will be incredible.

As for songs for a younger generation, I have little doubt that this would be something Neil, Matt and Jim would consider if a)the songs have something to teach on a broader scale and b) it would encourage more students to join the Target Program (I think it would).

Finally, I would recommend joining the Target Program for a month, see how you like it. If it suits your needs, stick with it. If not, cancel your membership and you'll have paid a mere $19.95 for the opportunity to learn some great songs. I hope to see you around on the forum.

dennisg

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:40 am

Matt,

One thing you should know is that many of the songs Neil teaches are here because Target members suggested them. If there's a song you really like, you can always recommend that Neil cover it. As with all areas of persuasion, it's a good idea to also state why you think a particular song would have reasonably broad appeal to the members.

- Dennis

mattroutley

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:04 am

thanks for the response guys, i think i'll give it a go :)

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:07 am

It's nice to see that some different people are singing TG's praises in this thread other than me, Chas, Chris, Andy, Bear et al.

I ask myself how much I spend in coffee in a month- or even a WEEK! $20 is a no-brainer for me. Also, they've been saying this for a while but that $20/month membership will be discontinued soon. If you join now, you'll be locked in at that price point FOREVER (or as long as you want).

Throw down your $20 and give it a spin! You won't regret it.

Al

suziko

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:09 am

Matt,

I'm older than you (37) so I do know most of the music covers on TG, but I listen to a lot of newer groups (The National, Bon Iver, The Decemberists), and initially it was a negative to me that Neil hasn't yet covered newer bands (excepting a few Green Day songs and one Death Cab song). However, the lessons are so comprehensive for learning a song, that you can take what you've learned and apply it to modern songs that you want to learn. For example, I'm just now working on Needle and the Damage Done (Neil Young) which was a song I didn't know before this last week. Not only was I introduced to an incredible song by a seminal artist that all music-lovers should know, but I also am learning techniques (hitting individual notes of the melody while strumming the accompanying chords; bass runs played with accompanying chords; hammer-ons) that are found in many, many other songs. So I can later take what I've learned from this older song and apply it to newer songs that I like.

Lastly, you can always join for one month, check it out, and quit if it's not for you.

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:08 pm

I see you've made the move now Matt, you won't regret spending $20 on this site. Like Acoustical has said its great that other members have come out vocally in support, kinda proves that its not just a minority group in support but a wide audience. You need to really sample as much as possible, but one thing most of us found out is, we probably considered ourselves to be better than we were and found out that we really didn't know as much as we should have, sort of summary from past posts a lot of guys went back to go over the Beginners lessons and also look at the beginners songs, mainly due to our techniques not exactly being the best, a bit of a rude awakening lol!! But moving on in times the same guys are now singing the praises of Neil and are trying things they maybe never would have thought of. And yes most songs here are from the Classic and Progresive era, but they are used in such a way that you can transfer the techniques to other songs yes even new ones. Frankly , but i'm biased the older songs (generally) have greater degrees of difficulty, so if you can master them then the worlds your oyster mate.

Good on ya mate for taking the plunge. Hope to hear ans see you around the forums for a long time :)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Matt! You took the plunge so no persuasion is necessary. You worked out for yourself that this is where it at. We all wish we'd started out with Neil much earlier... you have so you're ahead of the game already. Get some ideas for new up-to-date songs in to the forum thread for that purpose and you may have some luck as your request is a noticeable one and Neil is reading so.....
Enjoy the ride and look forward to any input you may have for the forums and groups.
Chris

AndyT

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:49 pm

I see you already made the smart choice. Let us know in a couple of weeks or so what you think. We already know the answer, we just like to hear it from you. LOL Us old guys know a thing or three. Thing or two for Bear.... LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic