Barriers to Improvement

AndyT

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Tony, LOL
Any sermon in particular you would like to hear?

tovo

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Yes Andy, probably one reminding everyone that perfection is pretty rare...seems appropriate for this thread! ;)

AndyT

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Good choice Tony! And we all know that throughout history, there has only ever been one perfect man. And it's not us. LOL Just do your level best when shooting your video and you will see improvement. And don't rob yourself of the chance to improve by being 'perfect'. Even Clapton and other greats still do scales.

jjohnson63

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 pm

I wonder if we take the path of least resistance? If a song, or even a passage, is hard, we drop back into something comfortable. It's more fun to make good sounds on the guitar rather than bad ones.
i found that just falling asleep with my guitar is enough lol blood on the frets and words in the head work best for me all barriers are just that ! barriers over come them with the love of what you are doing don't loose sight of that! WHY ARE YOU PLAYING ANY WAY DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY THEN SAY IT BALLS UP AND GET IT OUT THERE

wrench

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 pm

AndyT wrote:
A great example of biting off more than you can chew is trying to learn Classical Gas when all you know is a D chord. Neil's job is to build our skill set and if we follow his program (programme for Chas) then we should get to where it is we think we want to be. And likely quicker than jumping on every song that we love as soon as it gets posted.

But, there is also the fun factor in it. If you're not having fun, then you won't play. So do your practice on the stuff you should be on then have fun with stuff you're not really ready for.
I disagree that Classical Gas when all you know is a D chord is biting off more than you can chew. I agree it's a long way between the two, but not impossible for most. There was a time when every player who ever played Classical Gas knew nothing more than a D chord.

I think as long as you work within your physical constraints, you can get as good as you want to and work for. I wouldn't have said that 6 months ago,but I have already far exceeded what I thought I could ever do.

I think TG has some real magic here for those who run their course smart and put in some work. That's probably why many of us find ourselves currently in self-evaluation selecting new goals.

wrench

goldleaf

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 pm

I think it helps to hear other people status and how they are progressing or not progressing. I think it added some motivation for me. The bottom line is how much do you want to put into it. From there it's a matter of time and using the tools that TG provides. I think it is helpful to see others posting videos and improving. I get the feeling that if other regular (as in not Neil) people can do it so can I. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic