Barriers to Improvement

BigBear

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Other than lack of time,which we ALL share, what are your biggest barriers to getting better on the guitar? When you hit a wall, what do you do to get over it? What barriers cause new players to quit the guitar? Have you ever given up learning something because it was just too difficult, for example, playing lead? :cheer:

musicdoc522

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:17 pm

One barrier for me is when I try to take on too much music and cant get to all the songs I am working on. Another is my difficulty with rhthym which makes strumming difficult at times and that is why I do alot of finger style songs. I am sure I will think of other reasons.

leeson

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:47 pm

:)
My biggest barrier is lack of musical talent.

__m__

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Mine is self-esteem. I'm also pretty sure that goes with anything else in my life. When I was in grade-school learning to play the trumpet I'm sure I sounded HORRIBLE, but I didn't care. Then down the line, with enough years of practice and experience playing I was doing solos in public with no problem. Something changed between then and now. Now, I try on something that may be difficult in my skill level (which is where anyone should be), and when I struggle with it, I convince myself that it is extremely easy, that anyone could do it, and that I'm just really bad at it. Which, in turn, makes me feel like I'm bad at all sorts of things and maybe I shouldn't be doing them. So, I get discouraged, the guitar sits in the case for a few months, then I try again.

songman52

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Bear and musicdoc, you hit it exactly right with me. I'll practice a few scales, trying to memorize the notes, but quickly give up and move to playing songs. Then, like musicdoc, I attempt too many songs at once. I gotta get disciplined!!! I do so want to learn some lead playing.

goldleaf

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Songman, I know just what you mean, I have these great intensions of learning a certain song but get distracted by either a new song or play a song I already know pretty well. I need to get some type of pattern where I put in a certain amount of time into getting a song to a point where I don't make any or few mistakes before moving on to another song. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Mine are focus and direction.....But I must say this site has helped me with both..

Mike

stratman3

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:13 pm

I believe you are all right, it is a combination of all of the above. I think MY biggest problem is dicipline and lack of organization. I have heard that some people will put aside an hour or two to practice and they will break it down and slot their time, i.e. 15 mins. to warm up, 15 mins. to run scales up and down the neck, 15 min. to practice strumming, 15 mins. to work on new chords, ect, etc and of course some free time to play. You get the picture.
I have not done this yet, but, I think in the long run you will improve.
My problem, as I said before, the current target songs and new songs keep coming at me and, like I said, I am a kid in a candy store.

Got to have a plan and be diciplined......some day. B)

songman52

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Amen, stratman.
Hey look! Let me try some of those bon-bons! Oooh, and a few of those chocolates over there!

stratman3

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:47 pm

I think I have a toothache. B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic