Does learning a song make you sick of it?

jayswett

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Sometimes you just have to back away from the song for a while and work on something else. Music that I wrote and recorded is the worst, you can get sick of it very fast, especially if you can't get it just the way your mind hears it

wrench

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Yes, I get very tired of something, but I don't think it's the song itself. I think I get tired trying to achieve faster than I am able to. I find that I get most tired of the song just before I have it right. When I get it right, I don't play it for a few days, then it's both beautiful to listen to AND easier to play.

Hang in there. When you're so sick of it you just can't stand it anymore, you're probably just about ready to shoot a video and post it for us.

wrench

reiver

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 pm

So long as I feel like I'm improving - I can keep going without getting sick of it. As soon as i hit a part that I can't get the hang of, my frustration can turn me on the song and I start to blame it for my lack of ability. Heh! Sounds perfectly rational to me....

songman52

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Same as some of the others here, Dennis. If I get too much of a song I'll put it aside for a while and then get back to it.
Wow, Chris, how many Saturday afternoons would I doze off to Days of Future Passed when I was younger! And mom never told me I had a twin, in Switzerland no less!!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Have you started channeling Uri Geller yet songman? If you read my esp post about that, you'll know what I mean. If not I'l PM you ;-) Twin.

haoli25

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I never get sick of the songs I play. Funny though, I have killed 'em for other people! :laugh: After I play a song, I find that many people never want to hear that song again....EVER!

Bill Image

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm

haoli25 wrote:
I never get sick of the songs I play. Funny though, I have killed 'em for other people! :laugh: After I play a song, I find that many people never want to hear that song again....EVER!

Bill Image
Lol You get that too Bill, when I'm learning a song its on the CD player in the car then I get home its on the PC player then I get the GPro tab playing, then I get the guitar and play it then I get the Wife and kids going not that Bl#$%^y song again!!!!

6stringbostic

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:57 pm

actually this is why i'm typically learning several songs at once so i can just do a "round robin" during practice. i'm doing lots of fingerpicking songs - trying to put a different brain into my thumb. for that, MUCH repitition needed, preferably while paying attention to something else so that it becomes part of my "muscle memory" rather than me having to think about it.

problem with the rotation is sometimes i drop songs cuz others interest me before it get the one dropped where i want it.

need more open mic performances - some kind of goal to shoot for - maybe start posting vids here when i can get enough priority on that one...

johnrfeeney

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 pm

for me it's not a matter of sick of them - i could never play a song i was sick of in the first place but i get bored easily

it would be great if the boredom settleed in at least when the song was played proficiently but that's not my reality

in fact i'm suprised that my guitar doesn't get bored of me

if it was animate it would probably say "are you going to do that again" and strum it's way right out of the door

sort of like the mop in the commercial where the song "love stinks" is playing

dekotaj

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 am

dennis wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm such a crummy guitarist and I have to hear a song a hundred times before I can actually play it, but I've noticed that the very process of learning a song is enough to make me absolutely sick of it — even songs I previously loved, like Here Comes the Sun. Anyone else experienced this? If so, what song?

- Dennis
For me it seems to be just the opposite.Its because im such a crummy guitarist,that I cant get sick of a song.Im not happy with a single song I do.So that leaves nothing to do but get better.When I can get to the point of playing that Neil talks about,Playing and carrying on a conversation.Or playing and not worriing about whats the next chord or next verse to sing is.Then maybe I could get sick of a song.But if that's the case I hope I never get that good.I cant imaging putting the time and effort in a song,learning the lyrics,Work on the timing and then learning to feel the song when it all comes together,just to get sick of it.I love music,I love to listen to old music Ive heard a million times,and new music Ive just heard for the first time.Most music stirs my soul and lets me know Im alive.Truly could not imaging a world with out it.Sick of a song,I hope not.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic