Does learning a song make you sick of it?

dennisg

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Maybe it's because I'm such a crummy guitarist and I have to hear a song a hundred times before I can actually play it, but I've noticed that the very process of learning a song is enough to make me absolutely sick of it — even songs I previously loved, like Here Comes the Sun. Anyone else experienced this? If so, what song?

- Dennis

BigBear

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Dennis- yes, absolutely! When I get tired of it I have to put it away for awhile until the love for it returns. But if I really loved it in the first place I will always come back to it with a fresh appreciation for why it struck a chord (pun intended!) with me. This is especially true for songs I've invested a lot of time on learning.

Cheers! :cheer:

suziko

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm with Bear on this one. If I've been working on a song for a while (like right now with Needle and the Damage done), I might get to the oversaturation point, where the song loses its beauty and just becomes a tedious chore that I'm trying to slog through. But that rarely lasts for long. Any song that I'm willing to learn to play is going to be a song that I like, so if I step away for a while, the appeal returns to me. I guess a good song is kind of like a good spouse. If you spend many days with them, there might be moments where you find them annoying or vexing, and you need to get away from them. But after a little time away, you realize what made them so great in the first place and you're happy to be with them again :)

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:55 pm

suziko wrote:
I'm with Bear on this one. If I've been working on a song for a while (like right now with Needle and the Damage done), I might get to the oversaturation point, where the song loses its beauty and just becomes a tedious chore that I'm trying to slog through. But that rarely lasts for long. Any song that I'm willing to learn to play is going to be a song that I like, so if I step away for a while, the appeal returns to me. I guess a good song is kind of like a good spouse. If you spend many days with them, there might be moments where you find them annoying or vexing, and you need to get away from them. But after a little time away, you realize what made them so great in the first place and you're happy to be with them again :)
What a profound analogy Suzi... true all the same though... Reminds me of a crappy TV advert here in NZ about a cleaning product'30 seconds' where the actor says 'Spray and Walk Away!!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Nope! Never had that experience Dennis and I've played songs to death on record players (turntables), CD's and computer. At university, I used to fall asleep to the Moody Blues' Seventh Sojourn, Days of Future Past, Question of Balance and every Good Boy Deserves Favour playing on my turntable set to repeat, with my mattress on the floor and the speakers left and right of my head. Night after night.
If I'm learning a song, I'll listen to it all day long. On QUESTION, I spent 2 days playing it endlessly all day long with breaks for work and food. Now, I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not!

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:06 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
If I'm learning a song, I'll listen to it all day long. On QUESTION, I spent 2 days playing it endlessly all day long with breaks for work and food. Now, I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not!
Thats what is called an addiction! When I am learning I also listen to the song repeatedly as much as I can, but don't play it at quite the same frequency. I can't say I ever get sick of a song, maybe a bit frustrated, but that usually makes me more determined.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Yeah, but positive addiction, though! After tuning the 12 string, I really wanted to get my money out of it!! That song just gave me so much power. Carried me through my home office days no problem. :-)

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:22 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah, but positive addiction, though! After tuning the 12 string, I really wanted to get my money out of it!! That song just gave me so much power. Carried me through my home office days no problem. :-)
I know what you mean about getting your money out of it.. I leave my Alhambra in C G C F A C most of the time to play one song! 'Don't let It Bring You Down' its such a pain to retune every time. Another good reason (excuse) to have lots of guitars one for every tuning..

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:31 pm

No I don't get sick of the song.....The more I play it the better I get at it. the better I get at it the more I like it. Maybe its me

Mike

AndyT

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Same as Mike.
The more I play it the better I get at it and the more I like it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic