Acoustic vs Electric Bass

TGBob

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Here are a just a few things to take into consideration when choosing to play an acoustic or electric bass:

Electric bass is easier to play for a few reasons. First, the action (general setup of the bass) is easier. The strings are typically closer to the frets & easier to push down. Since the pickups & amplifier do most of the work on an electric bass you can make minimal contact with the frets & still get a clean sound.

Acoustic bass sound is produced by vibrations from the wood top, so heavier gauge strings are used and are harder to press down & bend to get a clean sound. An acoustic bass tends to sound warmer because of the overtones that are present.

With an acoustic bass, additional equipment is not always needed. You can simply start playing anywhere you want. This ease of use is one major advantage of having an acoustic bass. An electric bass may require power, an amplifier, pickups, and cables etc.

Cost wise, we usually get what we pay for: tone, action and craftsmanship.

When purchasing a bass, know what works best for you. Test out a handful of basses & see which bass feels and sounds best.

tgbob Image Image

Lavallee

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. Are there any other benefits than having lower notes when playing a 5 or 6 string bass?

Marc

TGBob

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:43 pm

hi marc, thanks for your response. my primary basses are electric and upright (4string). i've played 5 string basses and the only real advantages i can see are lower notes and playing positions, but that's not enough for me to buy one. IF i were to venture out of the 4 string domain, i think i would be more interested in a 6 string because you would gain the benefits of a 5 string as well as the 6th string which would be nice for playing fuller chords and a higher register, if needed. keep in mind, the more strings ~ the bigger the neck. however, a traditional 4 string would probably the best bet for starting out...

quincy451

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 am

Isn't this almost the same trade off between electric and acoustic guitar. I keep hearing electric is easier to play. But I keep pounding on a acoustic. Well, I do like the simplicity of just pick it up and play.

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:10 am

Bob, compared to an acoustic, how dificult is it to learn bass?

TGBob

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:04 am

yes, i would agree,the same issues are at play with bass or guitar...

TGBob

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:05 am

hi andy, when you refer to acoustic, i'm assuming you mean acoustic guitar. i played guitar for a couple of years prior to playing bass and really didn't find it a major deal in adjusting. the scale length is a little longer and the strings are bigger but with some regular practice it wasn't a big deal. however, your approach to playing tunes is different...

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:52 am

Bob, does Bass use the same chords?

TGBob

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:08 pm

yes, just fewer notes... although you typically don't use much in the way of chords when playing basslines.

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:40 pm

I never really thought much about Bass but now I'm wondering. Same chords, fewer strings, Hmmm... Do any bending on strings? I can bet that would be a finger killer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic