What happens to a guitar that gets "broken in"?

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Michelle. It depends entirely on the guitar and you. If you really love the guitar and the sound you get from it and its a good price, then go for it. You should do some homework on it of course, but never be stopped from a purchase because it had the wrong kind of wood for that year or some such reason.

reiver

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 pm

bob65 wrote:
I remembered reading about the effects of vibration/sound used to quickly age and improve the quality of sound of an acoustic guitar. I usually save articles, but Googled the topic and found an article from Acoustic Mag, and Tonerite which is a device to strap to the guitar for several days that seems to relax the wood fibers and produce decent results in the quality of sound.

Try looking at:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advi ... tion.shtml

and

http://tonerite.com/guitar

Some reports of people setting a guitar by speakers that are cranked up to also get similar results.
Can't say I'm very impressed with this article in Acoustic Guitar magazine. It's full of subjective statements (by their own admission) and no real 'scientific' back up. If they are going to use computers to measure the response - why ignore the lack of results in the readings.

And why no 'blind test'. All of the participants new what the test was and what they were expected to find. There would be some pressure on them to notice a difference. Who'd want to be the only one not to notice (the Emperor's New Clothes??)

Surely if this was making any significant difference to improving the quality of the tone, manufacturer's would have been doing it for years- during the manufacturing process, or even before.

Yours sceptically

r

goldleaf

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Andy, you mentioned Guild in it's earlier years & I'm not really familiar with them. I am aware of the acoustic/electric guitar Guild made for about 6 months in it's Tacoma factory in 2007. These were the guitars I mentioned when discussing "aging of the woods" and they used some tone woods as you mentioned. On the CO-2C model they used "Red Spruce" also called "Adarondack" sp? which is compared to Englemann. Guild was able to obtain some from it's Tacoma factory & mill in 2007. They also used what they advertised and "Solid AAA Sitka Spruce" on the Willy Porter Signature Model, also part of the "Contemporary Series". There are a few of these guitars available form Wholesalers and a few Music Stores like "Elderly Music". It's a good deal if you can find a reputable wholesale seller or someone wanting to resell one(like me). I just made my first video post using the Willy Porter, although I can't say I really did it justice. But with time the acoustic sound will improve due to the quality of woods used. They also have very good electronic's that due the acoustics justice. Gary

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 pm

I think Bear said that. But good points anyway.

michelew

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:21 am

Thanks Bear and Andy that's useful.

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:23 am

Anytime. LOL Especially if I don't have to type it! LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic