What happens to a guitar that gets "broken in"?

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 am

We told you it was nothing... Now you've read it and wish you hadn't.

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:18 am

Gary,
I have also heard that if you set it close to a speaker that you get the same results. I think it's just the wood settling into its final position. My grandfather used to make violins as a hobby and he told me that they sound like junk the first 5 years. You have to play them or store them in a sound room to get them to age properly. 5 years seems like a long time to wait for your guitar to fill out.

michelew

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:46 am

Don't worry ...it was nothing....... consider nothing of it.

michelew

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 am

Since this thread had sudden gone to nothing (been captured by nothing)...should I post my questions in a separate thread (and also stop potentially hijacking this thread) - I'd really like to know if any of you have thoughts on the value of a used/seasoned/vintage guitar vs a brand new version of the same model of guitar (or really close one)?

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:32 am

Hello Michele and other friends here.

The guitars with a spruce top,have in the beginning a other sound.
How longer you play,how bether he sound.
The music store where i come,tels me when you have the sound boxes from your stereo,and your guitar in frond of the box,and turn the radio on.
That it will have a work on the wood of the guitar.
He tell me,thaT he had spoken with a guitar builder.
O yah Michele,Taylor is a nice guitar.
Befor i broke my hip,i was by the store,and have a good talk over Taylor guitars.
He shows me a taylor 714 CE ,thats from the KOA series.
Have a good sound,playing nice .

Greetz Anton

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:23 am

hey Anton, how's it going with the hip repair? We all hope you recover soon and that your guitar is helping things along.

I totally misunderstood the concept of breaking a guitar in way back then with me first guitar as it really got broken in, pieces, as it wouldn't make the sounds I wanted!!

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Hello.

Step by step a little bit better .
I walk here around with sticks,i dont no the word in engl.
The Fiso was here to day with new stuf to lern.
This was de first time that i go upstairs with my stick help me.
First she show me how to do.
And than back down was a harder job for me.

Greetz Anton

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm

michelew wrote:
Since this thread had sudden gone to nothing (been captured by nothing)...should I post my questions in a separate thread (and also stop potentially hijacking this thread) - I'd really like to know if any of you have thoughts on the value of a used/seasoned/vintage guitar vs a brand new version of the same model of guitar (or really close one)?

Okay, you asked a serious question and you deserve a serious answer. Very broadly a vintage guitar, that has reached equilibrium or been fully "seasoned", will in most cases sound better than it's brand new counterpart and thus be of higher value if it is in comparable condition. Where this gets sticky is when the woods or construction quality of the two comparable guitars is different. Some older guitars have better wood because certain woods were more available ie. Brazillian Rosewood.

Many guitar companies have gone through periods of high quality and lower quality for a variety of reasons. Their guitars from certain years are thus better or worse. For example, Guild was a very high quality maker for many years and then went through some tough times in the late 70's and 80's. Buying a vintage guitar during that period would not make sense if the price was higher, regardless of "seasoning".

I think just like buying anything else "Caveat Emptor" is the rule. If you buy vintage, and vintage costs more than original, do your homeowrk and see what benefit you are receiving. Plus, there is just something about buying a new guitar where all the bad notes come from you!! And you can grow old together!

Cheers! :cheer:

bob65

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm

I remembered reading about the effects of vibration/sound used to quickly age and improve the quality of sound of an acoustic guitar. I usually save articles, but Googled the topic and found an article from Acoustic Mag, and Tonerite which is a device to strap to the guitar for several days that seems to relax the wood fibers and produce decent results in the quality of sound.

Try looking at:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advi ... tion.shtml

and

http://tonerite.com/guitar

Some reports of people setting a guitar by speakers that are cranked up to also get similar results.

wadestar

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Yes I at times put my acoustic in front of my amp, as I heard it improves the sound. but at times it muffles what I am playing so 6 of one half dozen of the other lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic