What happens to a guitar that gets "broken in"?

dennisg

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:28 pm

I've been reading a lot lately about how the sound that guitars produce changes over time. As I understand it, it's not a function of the mere passage of time, but a function of the guitar being played over a period of time. That got me wondering what it is, exactly, that's taking place in the guitar in order to produce the change in sound?

- Dennis (finally, a nice day in Seattle — but I wouldn't move here if I were you)

mmmbldo

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:41 pm

I have read that the vibrations cause realignment of the wood fibers (or perhaps molecular structure). I have also read that the vibration does not have to come from playing. Some claim to have produced the same effect just by exposing a guitar to a sound source (stereo, etc.) over time.

goldleaf

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 pm

mmm, I have several guitars I purchased recently that are 2 to 4 years old but never been played. Bought them wholesale. They were both made by companies that Fender bought out. I bought a Tacoma that was made in 2005 & must have been setting in a warehouse for quite a while, I bought 3 Guilds, Contemprary Series. They were produced in Tacoma WA. in 2007 and were produced for about 6 months but never promoted or sold in very few music stores. I bought all of these through a wholesale distributor. I am dealing with the very issue you brought up. These are all wood, high end quality acoustic/electric, w/ nice cases. The wood has not opened up on any of them although the more I play them I can hear the difference each month. The major PITA is I have to rotate playing each guitar so the spruce tops (on all) opens up more. It did make me realize that when you go to buy a new acoustic guitar it is hard to tell what it will sound like in several years. I agree with denn that the main aspects of aging are "vibrations" from playing or some other source, and drying out of the wood so it opens up. I keep tabs on the humidity since some of them have been sitting, unplayed for several years in who knows what type of warehouse conditions. Gary

BigBear

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:01 pm

I don't believe aging or seasoning of guitars has anything to do with realignment of fibers or any other changes at the molecular level. Cellulose fibers in wood just aren't susceptible to those types of changes.

I believe that it has more to do with the wood equalizing to it's new environment. Most tone woods are dried to below 15% before they are cut and built into guitars. Most places, at least in the US, have relative humidities above 30% and usually more in the 50-75% range. The East Coast and deep South in the summer can be above 90% humidity.

So the guitar wood is completely dry when it comes out of the factory and is sealed on one side by the guitar's finish. Over time, the moisture in the guitar wood will try to equalize with the environment of the owner's home. Once dried, wood can never go fully back to it's original moisture content but it will absorb some moisture.

Certain wood change more noticeably than others. Sitka and Englemann spruce and cedar will change alot because they are coniferous, relatively large grained woods. Rosewood, walnut, rock maple and other woods are from deciduous, hard, tight grained woods and won't change nearly as much. That's why most guitarists and luthiers talk about the top seasoning but not the sides and back.

I believe all guitars, but especially higher priced guitars with more exotic woods, will all take up to several years to fully equalize (season). This seasoning isn't as noticeable in lower priced instruments.

Cheers!
:cheer:

michelew

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:54 am

I've have also heard that good guitars get better with age. One day I'd like to buy myself a really nice guitar. Bear you may be happy to know that I'll definitely be testing Taylors. And I'd been wondering whether it would be worth considering vintage guitars. But, from wtat Bear just said it would appear that they only improve over a few years.

Dennis - if you feel I'm hijacking your thread I apologise and am happy to start a new one but I think these questions are related.

So - Is it worth looking at second hand 'vintage' guitars?
If so, how much is it worth? - so if I'm looking at a Taylor and I can get a 20 year old one (or older) in the same (or very good) condition for a similar price (or a bit more) should I consider it. I'm assuming you'll say beauty is in the ear of the beholder and that it's worth whatever I think it's worth, but given that I'm a novice I have no idea whether to pay more for this sort of thing.

Thanks

Michele

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 am

michelew

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:49 am

hmmmm... Bear who there a tachccident (techno accident) just now or was that a cryptic answer to my last question - i.e. a seasoned guitar is not worth anything more - just air.

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 am

michelew wrote:
hmmmm... Bear who there a tachccident (techno accident) just now or was that a cryptic answer to my last question - i.e. a seasoned guitar is not worth anything more - just air.

LOL! Nope, the Forum Gnomes thought my previous answer was so wonderful that they posted it twice! :lol:

Before you joined the program, a few months back, we had a "Nothing" thread that went on and on about well, nothing. It was hysterical! We debated the meaning of "nothing" for what seemed like weeks. Then we thought the thread had finally died and someone else would start it again. We were out of control. And it all started with a blank post like mine! :lol:

michelew

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 am

hmm.. must check that out...I'm intrigued.

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:04 am

michelew wrote:
hmm.. must check that out...I'm intrigued.
If you've got nothing else to do check it out..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... ion-/2974-

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic