Why did you stop playing?

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Sorry- I got doubled up again! Never mind!!

reiver

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 pm

I didn't stop playing so much as I stopped improving. The first few years were a burst of inspiration and encouragement. Friends to bounce ideas off, learn from each other, challenge each other, trying not to get left behind. Then you get older, lose those contacts and so you start strumming away at the songs that you'll be happy to play for the next 25 yrs, but without really stretching yourself. TG has provided those challenges again.

r

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for some good replies. I asked the question mainly because I was a bit different in that although I always loved music (except the Moody Blues Chris!!) I never actually picked up the guitar until later in life. I really regret that, you know you have the feeling, "gee I wasted so much time" and so I was interested in why people would not continue to play after getting a grounding. As I suspected, lots of different reasons, all interesting.

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:36 pm

I remember when I stopped or rather barely playing for a few years and remember what a stupid decision that was. But, we all learn through wonderful experiences in life that make that difference in what we are today. Music is the best gift I have received and will never forget that.

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 pm

tg_ajay wrote:
I remember when I stopped or rather barely playing for a few years and remember what a stupid decision that was. But, we all learn through wonderful experiences in life that make that difference in what we are today. Music is the best gift I have received and will never forget that.

And I believe the best gift we ever give ourselves! Because even when no one else is listening, music is still worth every second of all the practice time! :cheer:

snoopy64

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:20 pm

I got my first guitar lesson when I was about 11 years old. Unfortunately I stopped after about a year. First reason: My teacher wanted us to play classical stuff. Second reason: My parents wanted me to pay for the lessons.
I can't remember which of the two reasons was the "killer" ... but don't make your children pay for music lessons, if they don't get enough pocket money!

My break lasted for .... ups ... about 33 year. I won't stop again ;-).

goldleaf

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 pm

I took guitar lessons from age 12 to 14. I got an electric and amp for christmas at 14 and jammed with some of my neighborhood friends who also played. From age 16 to 20 I played in a garage band w/ bass guitar & 2 electric guitars, we had a drummer and later on a keyboard player and and male and female singers. We played all the tunes from the early 60's. When the female singer got married and other troubles keeping the band together, including my responsibilities, college, work etc. I eventually sold my electric and bought a nylon classical guitar. I really didn't have anyone to practice with so my guitar just set. I'd pick it up now & then but would just get discouraged because of lack of progress or actually regressing from lack of practice. That continued for most of my life. I didn't get motivated to play again until I found TG which offered me a way to learn songs I like. Being involved with others for comments, ideas and video's gave me a whole new reason to start playing again. I think, for me, it was the lack of other people to practice with and learn with caused me to lose interest in playing. I didn't find a good way of learning new songs. I bought song books & that was good but not very satisfying. So. Thanks to Neil and TG and the whole group of TGr's I have new goals about playing my guitar and even learning theory. Gary

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:42 pm

We've all lived different lives and are going to have different reasons. But much of what our Theoretical Guitarist posted above is likely correct.

Engineers... *shaking my head* ;)

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:46 pm

AndyT wrote:
We've all lived different lives and are going to have different reasons. But much of what our Theoretical Guitarist posted above is likely correct.

Engineers... *shaking my head* ;)

I know, I know, it's a heavy burden being a geek! But I like Theoretical Guitarist, it has a nice ring to it!! :silly:

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Theoretical Guitarist? Theoretically I was as good as Clapton....maybe even better, for about 44 years! Theoretically that is...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic