Why did you stop playing?

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:56 am

So many of you guys and girls have the same story, you played for a period when you were younger, and either stopped or played only spasmodically before picking up your guitar again years later....and here you (we) are.

Question is...why? Presumably your love of music and making music didn't leave you, so why did your guitar collect dust?

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:12 am

I got tired of people shooting at me?

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:15 am

Another thing we have in common Andy, neither of us is funny! ;)

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:21 am

Who's joking? LOL
When I was much younger, I had a nice voice. I could actually sing fairly well. But with life and everything else getting in the way, I let go of my music and quit singing. Now I'm learning guitar (I played mandolin) and when I sing everything runs out of the room. The cat, the wife, the grandkid....

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 am

I never stopped playing but I did stagnate with no one to play or sing with. That's why you get so many videos from me, I now have an outlet and a captive audience!

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 am

I was a little boy,in the age off 10 or 11 years old.
My dady and moms give me a guitar for my birthday,and guitar lessons .
it was for a short time, i must learning all the scale s off theme.
Two years ago,I pick it up.
And i love it,music give me a good feeling in my live.

Greetz Anton

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I never stopped playing but I did stagnate with no one to play or sing with. That's why you get so many videos from me, I now have an outlet and a captive audience!
Umm we have a pause and stop button lol Which I haven't used on you yet lol. If it does it will be due to jealousy lol

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I stopped cos I got married and was broke and sold guitar :( Took a long time to recover financially.

NKenny

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:06 pm

I started taking lessons when I was about 15 , but the teacher would only teach scales and the like. I was impatient and wanted to play Beatles songs. Now I wish had followed his advice, by now I would be able to play anything. But as a teenager ,cars,girls and the like took over and the guitar sat in corner. Forty years later I found the internet and could learn songs I had wanted many years ago. Found TG and love learning, I know I will never be that good but I am having fun.

Kenny

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Tony- Good question! Here's my theory. You know how I am about theories! :lol:

I think playing a musical instrument isn't nearly as easy as it looks. And making progress is never as fast as we would like. So there is an inherent frustration that we are never as good as we would like.

This frustration challenges us to get better but there are times in our busy lives when we simply have too many challenges and don't need any more frustration. Then there are jobs, kids and other everyday issues and the guitar gets put in the corner. We are well intentioned and we want to get back into it but without a more structured approach the guitar often takes a back seat to more pressing matters. And boredom with being mediocre creeps in too.

Then along comes TARGET and TG and there is now a more structured way to re-prioritize the guitar. Perhaps a way to minimize frustration and make faster progress without the expense of private lessons. Look at all the 50-somethings that are getting back into it. They are at a point in their lives when maybe the kids are all grown, they have a little more time available and frankly it's now or never with learning this instrument that we've always loved but never mastered.

Don't believe me? Look how many new and old members have mentioned being "kids in a candy store" (including me). Neil has provided great songs, of our era and low and behold we can play many of them!! Then there is a forum with equally frustrated people who we can all learn with and share our frustrations. Geez, is it any wonder this program has taken off like a rocket? Not to me!

That's my theory and I'm willing to not stick to it!! LOL! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic