Playing Imperfections

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:29 am

Many of us hear 'mistakes' or as Neil calls them, 'unplanned events' when we listen to players like Clapton, Gilmor, Santana, BB.... I submit that these are not mistakes but part of their signature sound. This is part of what makes them great. It's a vital element of the personality of their individual style.

Agree? Disagree?

mark

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 am

All the players you mention are on my favorite players list.

I have to say I never hear them make any mistakes. Their playing always sounds perfect to me.
I certianly never hear any of the type of mistakes I continually make, like rattling notes, bumb notes, wrong notes etc etc

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 am

Hello AndyT.

We can make a little mistake.
When you make a mistake in your tune,never make a breake.
Going thru in your song.
I think thats the power.

Greetz Anton

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm

AndyT wrote:
Many of us hear 'mistakes' or as Neil calls them, 'unplanned events' when we listen to players like Clapton, Gilmor, Santana, BB.... I submit that these are not mistakes but part of their signature sound. This is part of what makes them great. It's a vital element of the personality of their individual style.

Agree? Disagree?

Like Mark, I don't hear many goofs either but I would suggest that these guitarists, at the pinnacle of their profession, are pushing the limits of guitar playing and are just going to make a few mistakes due to the difficulty of the material. They probably would all love not to make them but they accept them as a natural part of performing live.

:lol:

reiver

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:16 pm

I agree. I don't hear these guys making many mistakes - but I'd bet that none of them ever came off the stage and reckoned that they'd played a perfect gig. As players, we know when we've made a mistake because we know what it was meant to sound like, that's not always the case for the listener.

And listening live - it can be difficult to hear every note played. Once the 'live' performance gets to CD/DVD, all of these little imperfections will have magically disappeared anyway.

r

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:29 pm

I have to say I never hear them make any mistakes. Their playing always sounds perfect to me.
Got to agree with Mark and the rest on this, don't hear any of those mistakes.... I just walked out on that Clapton concert because I was bored! Blasphemy, I know but that's how it was. ;-)

goldleaf

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:48 pm

I think lots of mistakes may be covered up in the studio by the guy behind the curtain, turning the dials etc. but even in person, most of the great ones play songs that they are well practiced on and I would guess if you followed James Taylor or Clapton on a tour live you would hear them make a few mistakes but they are probably expert on covering their mistakes also, so what mistakes they do make probably only only a few people really notice, that would be my guess. Gary

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Walked out on a Clapton concert Chris!? Your Clapton cancels my Moody Blues. We're even.

I'm sure they all make minor mistakes but I'm tipping not many people sit in an audience listening for them. The overall experience is the thing I think.

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:55 pm

I was thinking about another aspect of this. Do we have any idea how many times Eric Clapton has played Layla, or Justin Hayward sung Nights in White Satin? I was reflecting on this the other night at the Roger McGuinn concert. How many times has that guy sung Turn, turn, Turn or Mr. Tambourine Man? It has to be in the thousands. Eventually, they have to go on autopilot.

If we played any song that many times, for money, I'll bet we would play it pretty well too!

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut occasionally!! :lol:

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Chris, So for you, his song choice was the mistake. LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic