Lets get electrified

palanisc

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 am

Hey you guys,

I've been super busy with stuff here on my end, but finally found my way out here, so without further delay, lets get to know each other and talk some serious rockin'. I'm still trying to organize some audio,videos and all that jazz for you guys.
lemme know what kinda stuff you guys are into and wanna talk about.
I will be starting new topics here soon, so keep on the lookout

keep rockin'

Ajay

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:48 am

Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, George Harrison... Not necessarily in that order.

BigBear

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:48 am

Ajay- I like your attitude!! Here are a few ideas for you:

1. Add the guitar leads to Neil's TARGET songs, for example Comfortably Numb, Don't Fear the Reaper, Stairway to Heaven, and others.

2. How do you develop lead patterns? How do scale patterns translate to lead riffs?

3. What's different about playing an electric guitar?

4. Sound and tone. Many of us play electrics but don't understand how to get the classic sounds out of our amps.

5. Effects and pedals. What do we need to know? What is overdrive versus compression versus gain versus crunch etc.?

6. Timing for lead guitarists. How do you take a lead and get the right timing?

7. Chord soloing.

8. Playing with a rythym guitarist. How do accompany someone playing chords.

9. Doing riffs, vamps and fills especially for Neil's songs. A little different than #1.

10. Learning power chords. Neil has briefly touched on this with Aqualung but there is more to it than what Neil has shown.

11. How to use the different pickups on the electric guitar and what do the controls do?

12. Exercises for building lead chops. Warm ups, practice patterns, scales etc.

That's about all I can think of after a long day. Hopefully others will chip in as well.

Really glad to have you with us and I can't wait to break out my Les Paul and start shredding! Kidding!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:53 am

Obviously Rick put some thought into his response instead of just going hog wild in the candy store. So... What he said. Especially number 1. Your lead lesson could be added to Neils acoustic lesson for a more full and complete lesson. All of it on the same page. Bass also.

Chasplaya

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:11 am

Ajay, I think Rick's ramblings have just about covered most points But darn fine idea Rick anything that compliments existing lessons so we can get the full picture, Comfortably Numb solo would be good for me, I've played it several times but what I need to know more about is effects and amp settings, I have no idea about that aspect really

stratman3

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:58 am

Ajay,

I think BigBear gave you everything we need, plus the Kitchen sink. Well thought out. just about covers everything. The only thing I can add is Blues leads and lead chord progression.I love what you did in the key of C. B)

jim56

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:21 am

having never played electric guitar I wouldn't know what to ask for when the salesman tries to separate my money from my wallet. :unsure: how bout a brief intro to the instrument and the necessary attachments.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:53 am

There are electric guitars these days?
No, just kidding, Bear didn't leave anything for the rest of us to say ;-) so I'm just kicking my shoes waiting to see where Ajay begins with us rookies....

Music Junkie

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 am

Ajay:

I saw in your interview that you were a fan of John Petrucci! Nice! He is a favorite of mine. I also love to follow Neal Schon (his albums Beyond the Thunder and I on U are both very good - not to mention his stuff with Journey back in the day) and a jazz guitarist named Nils (not Nils Lofgren - This Nils was a session musician for a while and has put out a few albums of his own - Pacific Coast Highway is very good). If you ever get a chance to post any lessons having something to do with these guys or guys you follow, it would be very interesting in deed......

Thanks,

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm

thanks for all the input so far. I'm very interested in all the topics you guys have brought up so far. However, 'm gonna try to address it one post at a time so we can stay on topic. I will be on here at least once or twice a day as my schedule is pretty swamped up with private instruction here at the studio. But I will try to get on as much as I can to hangout with you guys. 'm gonna try and post some pics of the gear I own. Lemme know what you think and if you have any questions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic