What are your favourite chord progressions?

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 pm

would just be nice to hear about some new ones to play with :)

M

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:30 pm

mattroutley wrote:

M

I don't think there are any new ones! They've all been pretty much thought of by now... ;)

Why not use some of the old progressions but substitute altered chords (7ths, sus4 etc)

r

leeb

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Currently it is Melissa ... Allman Brothers... always sounds more complicated than it is. "Friend of the Devil" is another current favorite

BigBear

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:09 am

reiver wrote:
mattroutley wrote:

M

I don't think there are any new ones! They've all been pretty much thought of by now... ;)

Why not use some of the old progressions but substitute altered chords (7ths, sus4 etc)

r

Or play with some inversions! :cheer:

mattroutley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 am

reiver wrote:
mattroutley wrote:

M

r
i think you're missing my meaning a little - i know there are no new ones to be found as a whole, i'm just referring to the chords you like to play when you pick up a guitar; one's that you think sound nice together.

i'm currently playing around with jazz chords and wondered if anyone else had a particular progression that they liked :)

karl01

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:04 am

I give it a try

Am to F to G

Over and over again

very basic but sounds great

karl

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 am

mattroutley wrote:
reiver wrote:
mattroutley wrote:

M

r
i think you're missing my meaning a little - i know there are no new ones to be found as a whole, i'm just referring to the chords you like to play when you pick up a guitar; one's that you think sound nice together.

i'm currently playing around with jazz chords and wondered if anyone else had a particular progression that they liked :)
I like the Maj7 chords right now. Sometimes I play the Dmaj7 and Gmaj7 back and forth. I am looking for where to go next with it. A or A7 sounds o.k., but not exactly what I am looking for. The C sound wrong, so I am thinking Key of D...... Take a stab and let me know what you think.

MJ

:)

rcsnydley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:11 pm

I always liked C to Am, also C to Em to Am. Throw in a G and a D and you have a whole song.

Ric

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:17 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
I always liked C to Am, also C to Em to Am. Throw in a G and a D and you have a whole song.

Ric
Ric:

You have named a LOT of songs with that progression. Proven track record there.

MJ

:)

galnpdx

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:23 am

I dont know if I have a favorite progression but I often cant stand the sound of a first position open A cord for some reason. Odd because I tend to play a lot of A lead licks :blink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic