Guitar camp: everyone in the lake!

dennisg

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 pm

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm just returning to the guitar after a brief absence of 35 years. Okay, I had a couple things on my mind. Anyway, I'm probably an intermediate player, with no theory knowledge, although I'm pretty comfortable with most chords, barre or otherwise. I can double-thumb fairly proficiently. Thing is, I'd like to get a lot better, and to that end I'm considering a week-long guitar workshop here in the Pacific Northwest. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone in this forum attended one of these week-long guitar camps? If so, please describe the experience.
2. If you haven't attended one, do you know anyone who's described the experience to you? Did the person feel it was worthwhile?
3. Does anyone know anything about the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop in particular?
4. At 58 years old, will I be ridiculously out of place?
5. Should I just contemplate my soundhole and leave you alone?

- Dennis (guess what, it's raining in Seattle today)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:44 pm

It's been rain here in Switzerland too Dennis, what can you do?
Never been to a camp but this sounds like an idea for TG. Neil just HAS to do an Annual camp somewhere warm in Ca. Can you imagine how many TG-ers would go for that? Don't want to hijack your thread Dennis but If people could comment on that idea at the same time answering you ... would be cool. Can't imagine you'd be over age... look at this site!

And no worries if someone falls in the lake and can't swim... I was a waterfront counselor at Camp Choconut for Boys near Friendsville Pa. way back in 1976 .. Bicentennial year.

reiver

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Dennis

just looked at the web site. it looks like fun. As for fitting in - I think they'll probably call you 'Youngster' ;)

r

Lavallee

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Dennis, you like playing guitar so every opportunity is a good opportunity. I would certainly go for it. Even if it does not fulfill all of your expectations, you will still gain something. Just playing with other people should be a good reason.

If you decide to go, let us know what happenned.

Marc

TGMatt

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Dennis

I would sugggest that as a new Target member you should give the program and Neils teachings a full 2 months...rather than potentially confuse your progress..

I can assure you that what we have coming down the pipeline for lessons is going to keep you very focused and happy..

As for teh camp idea..

2 things

One we will be launching our live shows next year...and they are free as part of your Target program...

We are contemplating a camp idea as well..but that will be mid year if we do it..

My advise..You have picked an instructor

Give him and yourself time to see the progress you make b4 you muddy the waters any

Cheers

Matt

BigBear

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Dennis- Matt's advice is really sound. I have not attended a camp but know people who have, particularly the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop and the Newport Bluegrass Workshop (not sure if that name is correct) here in Oregon. Both are excellent if that's what you are into. I've considered going to the Puget Sound camp but then I found TARGET and I'm overwhelmed with good stuff to learn.

If you are 58 and just starting out I'd be shocked if you could learn everything available on this site in several years. My advice would be pick some songs you've always liked and learn them. At the same time, gobble up all the theory you can if you really want to grow as a musician. If not, just focus on songs and techniques.

Continue to participate in the forum as you have and practice, practice, practice. It's just that simple!! LOL! :laugh:

Good luck!! :cheer:

AndyT

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:39 pm

I agree. Neil should hold a guitar camp here in Hawaii once a year. 4 camps a year. East Coast, Hawaii (the REAL west coast), Oz, and somewhere in Europe. That would be AWESOME!

A week of lessons would be great. Even if you decide that you do not agree with the way they teach, you will still have gained lots of practice, and learned some new things. Go for it.

tovo

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm

AndyT wrote:
I agree. Neil should hold a guitar camp here in Hawaii once a year. 4 camps a year. East Coast, Hawaii (the REAL west coast), Oz, and somewhere in Europe. That would be AWESOME!
Awww Shucks Andy you remembered us down here! We would make Neil very welcome and I reckon we could convince at least 1 Kiwi to come over (or we could all head to his place). Seriously it's the only part of the idea of a travelling TG roadshow that I don't like, that the people outside of the USA will not be able to participate. (unless we have a few Billionaires on board and if so I've got the time if you have the private jet) I'm not suggesting it shouldn't happen of course, just that I'm sure I'm not the only international who would love to join in.

Dennis, I reckon wait for Neil's tour mate.

galnpdx

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:18 am

For me, any exposure to other players, instructors and the like only helps fuel the fire. You can and will always retain your core lessons but other insights especially in person will always be better then at home playing alone where often most end up reading or watching videos and not playing or practicing like one should.
If one was to go to a camp or sit with other players and learn a single thing it will l only HELP with ones core instruction, certainly doesnt train wreck it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic