7-shaped barre chords

combo

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:54 pm

I can almost handle playing Am and E shaped barre chords, but when lifting my pinky to play an E7 or Am7 shape the new open string always turns out muted by my barre finger.

Is there any trick to doing this properly?

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:13 pm

combo wrote:
I can almost handle playing Am and E shaped barre chords, but when lifting my pinky to play an E7 or Am7 shape the new open string always turns out muted by my barre finger.

Is there any trick to doing this properly?
Combo:

Sounds like you just need to adjust your barre finger to a better placement. I had trouble with this for a long time. Now when I place my barre finger I roll it a little to the side to get a flatter surface (trying to avoid using the joint of the finger as much - this sticks up a bit and can give you a great buzz). This way you get maximum pressure on all the strings. You kind of have to mess around a bit to find what works best for you. When you are working on them, make a finger adjustment and then play each string individually to make sure it is fretted properly.

MJ

dennisg

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:04 pm

MJ might be absolutely right about the position of your barre finger. It's also possible that when you stretch out to add the seventh with your pinkie, you release some pressure on the barre finger. So, what might help is to strengthen your left hand. A lot of guitar places (online and physical) sell a hand exerciser called a Grip Master, a springy resistance-excercise device I used to use when I was foil fencing, because it's extremely effective at strengthening your power hand.

- Dennis

wiley

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:04 pm

wiley wrote:
Try placing your thumb more 'down' (towards the body) than usual, Say between your ring and Johnny Cash finger or the center of your hand. This should naturally 'roll' your barre finger (ever so slightly) onto a flatter surface.
Great point Wiley! keeping your thumb in good position is VERY helpful when it comes to barre chords (at least for me). When I get lazy about it, it sounds through big time......lol

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic