Music Lessons Boost Brain Power

jim56

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:17 am

Researchers found a correlation between early-childhood musical training and improvements to nonverbal reasoning, verbal ability and motor skills.

For those who seriously practiced a musical instrument when they were young, the experience was more than just entertainment. Recent research shows a strong correlation between musical training for children and certain mental abilities.

The research was discussed at a session at a recent gathering of acoustics experts in Austin, Texas.

Laurel Trainor, director of the Institute for Music and the Mind at McMaster University in West Hamilton, Ontario, and colleagues compared preschool children who had taken music lessons with those who did not. Those with some training showed larger brain responses on a number of sound recognition tests given to the children. Her research indicated that musical training appears to modify the brain's auditory cortex.

http://mimm.mcmaster.ca/index.php/researchers.html

Another reason to get the word out about TG.

BigBear

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 am

Jim- Great info! I believe they have also shown a strong correlation between actively playing music and delaying the onset of dementia and possibly Alheimers. At our age, that's good enough for me!! Play on!! I need all the help I can get!! :cheer:

suziko

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:43 am

Well, there you have it... Scientific proof that it's GOOD for musicians to be childish!!! LOL "Immaturity" keeps me young... ;)

P.S. He looks pretty smart to me

[video][/video]

galsteien

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:54 am

Well ive always thought of myself as 17 not 45 and blamed it on the puter games i play

now that im playing moosic im gonna get even younger , wooohoo, besides I bet there are a lot of people that think im the most childish one here

Mwhahahahaha

Mark

galsteien

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 am

galsteien wrote:
Well ive always thought of myself as 17 not 45 and blamed it on the puter games i play

now that im playing moosic im gonna get even younger , wooohoo, besides I bet there are a lot of people that think im the most childish one here

Mwhahahahaha

Mark

Game on Mark! You've got some tough competition on that one around here!!!

jim56

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 pm

BigBear wrote:
Jim- Great info! I believe they have also shown a strong correlation between actively playing music and delaying the onset of dementia and possibly Alheimers. At our age, that's good enough for me!! Play on!! I need all the help I can get!! :cheer:
I hear ya. The answer is starting young if you want to master the guitar. Been trying to get my daughter to play her guitar, but the computer is winning. Guess I need to lead by example.

BigBear

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:03 pm

jim56 wrote:
BigBear wrote:
I hear ya. The answer is starting young if you want to master the guitar. Been trying to get my daughter to play her guitar, but the computer is winning. Guess I need to lead by example.

Jim- Same problem. I've bought guitars for each of my kids because "Dad, I really, really want to learn the guitar". Ever heard that one before? Only my middle son still has any interest (he's 23) and I after I bought him a very nice Seagull he seems to have lost interest (can I have my guitar back?).

Kids nowadays have too many electronic things competing for their attention. But they all love listening to music, just not making it! It's a shame really. :unsure:

AndyT

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:20 pm

I use reverse shrinkology on my granddaughter.
"No, you don't like playing with me. Go outside with your friends or something."
Then she gets her guitar and we jam.

jim56

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:10 pm

AndyT wrote:
I use reverse shrinkology on my granddaughter.
"No, you don't like playing with me. Go outside with your friends or something."
Then she gets her guitar and we jam.
I'll give that one a go Andy. Thanks for the idea.

musicrevisited

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Music is really strange as a kid, I started trombone in fourth grade but after I had a really strict teacher I lost my interest in music for a while. I always had a bit of a dream of playing guitar but was afraid of having that crushed as well, but I'm really glad I picked it up. Now I find that I appreciate all forms of music and want to master all sorts of instruments as I get older. I might have begun with a slow start but maybe music is something that some people have to discover on their own. There's that whole idea of using one side of the brain for arts and music; sometimes it just takes a while for that to click.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic