URGENT: Need help about Levin guitar

pineappletrain

Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi everyone
I need some help conserning a levin guitar, dont know about the model, all i have is this picture. Now the question is can i put nylon strings on this one or not ? Image

mmmbldo

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:05 pm

From what I can see in the picture, I would say you should put ONLY nylon strings on this. I looks like a classical bridge (wide), and I believe the strings are tied onto the bridge. The large plastic rollers on the headstock also indicate classical. This guitar would not be braced for steel strings and could be damaged, if you used them.

goldleaf

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:05 pm

It looks like it has nylon string type tuners on it to me. The nylon strings usually have the horizontal type tuning pegs where the steel string have the vertical tuning pegs sticking up from the headstock. Also the tuning pegs look like they are a larger diameter appx 3/8" where the steel string pegs are less than 1/4". I can't remember seeing a steel string guitar with that type of tuners. Just my own experience. Look at my Avitar & see how the tuning pegs stick up apove the headstock where the guitar you picture has the roller type inside the headstock. Looks like nylon only. Gary

pineappletrain

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Ok ty wery mutch, im thinking of buying it for 80 dollars, would that be a good deal ?

jayswett

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:45 pm

If you are looking for a classical guitar, and it sounds good, and on inspection is in reasonably good condition, $80 is probably a reasonable price for this guitar. Are you sure you want a classical guitar? If you are a beginner, you are probably better off putting your money towards a steel string guitar, which you can both finger pick and strum, and has a narrower neck.

mmmbldo

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Jay makes a good point about weighing your needs vs putting the money into something possibly more suitable. In terms strictly of whether the guitar is a good buy for a classical...1) does it sound good? 2) is the neck straight? 3) is the bridge good or separating from the top 4) does the top bulge? 5) is the action low enough to be adjusted to your needs? If these things are ok, it's probably a good deal...you don't often get much for $80.

quincy451

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:55 pm

I agree with just about everything said here. With this one it looks to be nylon only.
With those tuners I think steel strings would break things. But I disagree with nylon string guitar for beginners. If that is what you want go for it. You will get a softer feel to the strings, and bar chording will be easier. You will get a softer tone which will not be a bright as the steel string.

One thing that is strange with this guitar is the sound hole. Nothing wrong with it necessarily just used to seeing actual holes. This looks like it might have amped and thus this sound hole for feedback resistance.

So my advise is buy it if you want.

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:16 pm

What you have is a very early Levin most likely made in Sweden around the 1920's it is definitely a nylon strung guitar. They were known and sold as Goyas in USA.

pineappletrain

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 am

ok ty guys, im on the market for a nylon string guitar because i alredy have a steel stringed one, so if you have any sugestions on that matter please share them :)

Catman

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:37 am

If you don't want to get helpful suggestions for $5K instruments, you'd better give us a budget! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic