Whats your dream Guitar ?

all_thumbs

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33 pm

My dream guitar would be a pair of twins, The Leo Kottke signature editon 6 and 12 string guitars from Taylor. To make them my dream guitars though, they would have to add the Expression electronics system to both, odd that they do not include it when it is on all their other higher end guitars. The only other thing that would be needed to complete the dream is to make the 6 string a seven string. I don't know why but I just want a seven string guitar. I play a lot of open and odd tunings and the extra string on the low end would be cool. It might take a bit to get used to it but I would happily have a go at it.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on an acoustic seven string?

Lavallee

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 pm

It would be nice if you show us, in a student video, one of those song with alternate tuning, I love them. By the way welcome the TG site.Not sure if you have been here for a while as I see two posts but maybe you just decided to join the forum. Saw in the other post that you have over 20 guitars, quite impressive.

Marc

all_thumbs

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

I haven't recorded myself playing much. When I have, the file was so large that it was impractical to upload anywhere. What do most people use that post videos in the student video section? I could use my iPhone but the sound would be horrible, same thing for my digital camera. I watch those videos on Candy Rat and I am awed by the sound even for a youtube video. I make a lot of mistakes when I play but sometimes I will rip a tune out error free just the way I wanted to play it. I would like to be able to edit good sections together when a mistake ruins one.

Open tunings are fun to play around with. I play Little Martha in open D but I play it half Allman Bros and half Leo Kottke. I have a lazy ring finger on my right hand that keeps its own time and sometimes flails away like terrets ridden phalanges. So most of what I play is three fingers. I am looking for excersizes to do to train that damn digit to comply with the wishes of the others.

My dad used to say that having multiple guitars is a sickness, like collecting cars "How many can you drive at once?" he would say or "How many can you take with you on the space ship out of here when the planet blows up?" (okay I made that one up) but to a degree he is right. When I say out loud how many guitars I have I say it with half a shameful little shrug. But each one is beautiful to me and they all sound different, and play differently as well.

One of the luxuries of having multiple guitars though, is that I can string and tune them according to what I want to play and leave them there. I have one in Drop D, one in open D, one (a big fat black formica Martin) in that Bruce Palmer tuing that CSN is so very fond of. I have a couple in regular tunings but with the fattest strings I can find tuned two and three steps low. This is cool because you can play normal songs with the capo on somewhere in back of the fifth fret, which for my smallish fingers makes playing much easier when it comes to John Mayer songs for instance.

Yes I am new here. I found a video lesson from TG on youtube once and went to this site. Wow, I spent the money to subscribe right away. Very cool site, great lesssons and videos. So if any of you have any help with how to record yourself I would welcome the info.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic