Bridges

goldleaf

Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Dennis, I think that was part of my point that I didn't get across very well, all things are not equal if you don't have the strings running over the bridge and saddle, you have to lose some force down and direct connection with the guitar top, as far as "if it's not broke" I was referring to how to produce the best preforming guitar, and pulling out the pins How hard it that??? It couldn't be much easier and there is a very sound acoustical reason for it. You kinda skipped over the most important parts of what I said in my post, those that refer to the sound quality. Guitar neck connections have been changing for years and there are a variety of ways of conecting the neck. Taylor had a very good one but Martin has been doing a pretty good job over the years also. Gary Over--

reiver

Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Intersting points (well to some, anyway)

As an ex-engineer, I'd be interested to hear from others on the difference between these bridge types wrt downward pressure on the saddle. In my opinion this is not affected by direction the string takes once it contacts the bridge, so whether it enters the guitar (pin type)or sits flush (feed-thro') will have little or no impact on downward pressure. The tension on the string is not changed and that is what generates the downward force.

As for rotation of the bridge, they've probably thought of that and amended the bracing.

Just my thoughts

r

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 pm

You're right, Gary, that I neglected to address that part of your post. And I think the reason I didn't address it is because it doesn't seem like a given to me that pin-type bridges are less prone to causing guitar damage or are more likely to produce superior sound than string-thru bridges.

I would love to hear from someone like Bob Taylor, to see if his company has considered string-thru bridges -- and, if not, why?

- Dennis (in Seattle)

goldleaf

Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 pm

reiver, I'd have to agree w/ you. Looking at my bridge & how the strings come over the saddle, once they are over the saddle there would no more additional force down so I would have to rethink that aspect of my post. Guess I'll have to stick with "if it not broke don;t fix it" which isn't a very forward looking position. And Dennis I to would like to hear Bob's thoughts on the subject which I am by no means an expert. Gary

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:06 pm

I appreciate that you're open-minded, Gary.

Whether or not something's broken is, I suppose, subjective -- and a matter of degrees. Because of the small issue I described in my first post, I'll probably have to go buy new ebony/abalone pins for my Taylor. Those ain't cheap. So, yes, to me the current state of the art of bridge design is somewhat broken. I'd rather not have to pay that money. I'd rather not have to diddle with the strings. No, not a huge deal, but if a string-thru bridge design would allow me to avoid those problems while maintaining comparable sound quality, I'd be all for a change in technology.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

goldleaf

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Dennis I appreciate your thoughtful responses and discussion, especially in areas where I am no expert but can only express my thoughts. I would prefer to be able to losen the strings, put a capo on the 1st fret, pull the pins and work on the saddle or fretboard without having to totally remove the strings and rewind the strings at the tuners. Just seems easier to me for what types of adjustments or work I do on my guitars. Gary

wiley

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 pm

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Gotcha. That makes sense, Gary. We'll just have to file this one under Different Strokes For Different Folks.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info, Wiley. I guess a string-thru bridge isn't new technology -- just an unconventional one.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:53 pm

[video][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic