What do you get out of playing the guitar?

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm

That and, you know, getting the girls......lol
Playing guitar helps get girls...hmmm I'm doing something wrong then cos I ain't getting the girls. Maybe just as well as she who must be obeyed might object!

tovo

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Playing guitar helps get girls...hmmm I'm doing something wrong then cos I ain't getting the girls. Maybe just as well as she who must be obeyed might object!
I'm hearing you Chas. I went to a Cousin's wedding recently and he had a mate playing acoustic through the day. The guy was seriously good and could sing. Anyway, late in the day I was chatting to him about his playing and how good he was and he said "yeah man well you HAVE to be good to get the chicks!"

I just KNEW I was doing something wrong. I'm so glad he cleared it up for me.

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
I play for myself.......Selfish I guess, but it is also a great tool for washing away the days crap....... I do not need to play in front of others, or be recognized by others. I have always loved music, and it has always gotten me through tough times. The thought of being able to make my own music some day so I can put my feelings into something constructive is what I strive for.

Don't tell my wife about the last one though, as she would beat me.....lol

Nice one MJ!
Hey Al:

I have never been accused of being able to get the girls..... That being said, the guitar is just very fun and very relaxing. Plus, it has brought me to meet lots of good friends here at the site. What more could you ask for????

suziko

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:22 pm

As much as I'm loving reading this exchange about guitars being a "girl-magnet" I thought I'd try to rescue the thread from its hijackers!

Dennis- I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. That must have been really hard for you and I think it's wonderful that you're playing guitar in part to remember and honor him. My thoughts are with you!

And as for why I play guitar, well, clearly it's to pick up the guys!

haoli25

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:29 pm

Way to go Suzi!!!!!!!!!

Bill Image

tovo

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:46 pm

suziko wrote:

And as for why I play guitar, well, clearly it's to pick up the guys!
And how's that working out for you Suzi? :P

suziko

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I picked up one! Of course, I did nab him BEFORE I started playing.....

tovo

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Well, I imagine he feels even luckier now. :)

goldleaf

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Dennis, I'm truly sorry about your loss and the reason you started playing again, but glad playing the guitar brings you some consolation.

As for me, I think I'll keep it short and talk about what started me playing again after a very long period of not playing. I don't really play for others, but in thinking about it the connection I've made with my fellow TG'ers and Neils teaching methods and the songs he has on TG have drawn me back into playing the guitar again after 30+ years of not playing. Although I've only made and posted one Video, I think just the thought of having others who are interested in the guitar that will hear what I play and make whatever comments gives me some motivation to want to play and improve. I also enjoy watching others posts of video's of new songs they have learned. I would still continue learning songs off of TG even if there was no venue for posting videos, but I don't think I would have as much motivation to learn new songs and improve my playing skills. I'm not sure why that makes a difference??, as I have no illusions of ever being a professional or even a highly skilled guitar player. I will be satisfied to learn to play a number of songs and have them sound "good". I would like to learn more about the theory of music since I'm putting in the time and effort to play. Also it is a way of relaxing and forgetting the daily issues I deal with as a Counselor for seniors and people with disabilities & their family members. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 am

I also enjoy watching others posts of video's of new songs they have learned. I would still continue learning songs off of TG even if there was no venue for posting videos, but I don't think I would have as much motivation to learn new songs and improve my playing skills. I'm not sure why that makes a difference?
Gary, it has the same effect for me. When you know other players are listening and giving feedback and you can give feedback for them, there's a connection and mutual interest. It's so much more. It's like watching a beautiful sunset somewhere alone..... or watching it with someone you care about, it has more meaning when shared.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic