What do you get out of playing the guitar?

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:48 am

Man thats quite an inspirational reason to play, a way to keep alive memories. You know my number 1 guitar was purchased with a bit of cash my Mum left me and I called this guitar the name my Dad used to call her, Lisbeth, and I can't help but think of her when I play, and it inspires me to play well as i don't want to dishonour her name, weird eh! This guitar is my Alhambra (no Bear and co not the Cole lol) And I play cos I have a dream that one day i'll be up there with the best, and its not about playing for other or to make money its all about the satisfaction that I can play to the best of my ability and to enjoy the music and have fun.

I'm close to putting up my first vid, almost convinced my wife to buy a decent CAM and it will be with Lisbeth the song, well wait and see...

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:17 pm

That's really touching Dennis. Lost my brother recently too. Very hard to think about.
What do I get out of playing? I guess I get closer to me.

heatndude

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:55 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That's really touching Dennis. Lost my brother recently too. Very hard to think about.
What do I get out of playing? I guess I get closer to me.
I like that Chris. I often use too many words. I bet you could write some darn fine Haiku

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 pm

I like that Chris. I often use too many words. I bet you could write some darn fine Haiku
.... yeah, I just have a slight problem with my Japanese rhymes! :-)

quincy451

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Yes what I get out of playing the guitar is similar to most here.

Relaxation is great playing the guitar. It really doesn't matter what you are playing.

I also connect to my father whom I have not seen since 1976 by playing the guitar. For he always wanted to play and knew nothing of how but would pick at a guitar at family gatherings. He would pick at it for hours.

So my goal was to play it for real. I meet that goal in 1976/77.

Now my goal is to play much much better and understand as much as possible about what I am doing while doing it and why.

frybaby

Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Sore fingers and a tired butt

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I play for myself.......Selfish I guess, but it is also a great tool for washing away the days crap....... I do not need to play in front of others, or be recognized by others. I have always loved music, and it has always gotten me through tough times. The thought of being able to make my own music some day so I can put my feelings into something constructive is what I strive for.

That and, you know, getting the girls......lol

Don't tell my wife about the last one though, as she would beat me.....lol Image

pineappletrain

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother

Well wy i play guitar is because its really fun, it can also be a social thing when you meet sombody that also plays an instrument or if you play for someone. I dont know wy but it gives me a great feeling playing guitar and i will never stop :)

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
I play for myself.......Selfish I guess, but it is also a great tool for washing away the days crap....... I do not need to play in front of others, or be recognized by others. I have always loved music, and it has always gotten me through tough times. The thought of being able to make my own music some day so I can put my feelings into something constructive is what I strive for.

That and, you know, getting the girls......lol

Don't tell my wife about the last one though, as she would beat me.....lol

Nice one MJ!

AndyT

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Dennis, I hear you.

Read Psalm 150 and you will know why I play. It is my way of worshiping God. When I play, no matter how badly it may be at times, it really does not matter because to God it is a joyful noise unto Him. It lets me free myself from the cares of the world. That's why most contemporary Christian music is simple chords. Easy enough to play while letting go and getting into worship.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic