What do you get out of playing the guitar?

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:58 pm

My brother Ken taught me how to play the guitar when I was about 14. I played for a couple of years, then lost interest. For 35 years. Ken, who has always been my closest friend, passed away not long ago, and for some reason I felt an urge to start playing again. I bought a nice guitar, and I've been noodling around every day with it. I'd like to say I find playing relaxing, but I'm at that stage of my competency where everything I try requires a pretty big effort. I know that'll change with time. But the real reason I'm playing is to maintain a connection to my brother. I get out my old Peter, Paul & Mary songbook, and I play the songs that he and I used to do. It makes me sad sometimes. But that's okay.

What about you good people? What's it mean to you to play the guitar?

- Dennis (remembering Ken)

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother, Dennis- but it is nice that you can still connect with him on a musical level.

I play guitar to relax and clear my head. I don't really play for anyone else but myself. (and a couple of thousand people on TG now) :blush:

It's also a challenge for me to get songs farther than I've gotten them before..

Lavallee

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 pm

I play because I am a technician and a stubborn person. I like to be able to master (a bit of a strong word here!!)things. I learned cooking because there is a lot techniques to master. I always been pretty good at sport not because I am talented but because there is something to be mastered. The talent is the key of the second part of the equasion. If I decided I will do something, I put the knife between my teeth and learn whatever is required. I do not learn easily but I am stubborn. Guitar is a mixture of techniques and art. I am not much of an artist but I can be a good technician. Don't take me wrong, I really like learning all of this and especially guitar, the is one the greatest hobby I know. So it accomplishes 2 things, something technical and it keeps my happy. A winner isn't it?

Marc

songman52

Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Requiescat in Pace for Ken and condolences for your loss, Dennis. For me, music is a connection to all the vibrations of the world. It reverberates within me and touches all the emotions. I'll bet most every member of TG has the same experiences of using music to express a mood, to feel a feeling, or to change a mood. Playing guitar is a way to relax, to bring out emotions, to connect with other people, and so much more. And as Al and Marc alluded to, when I improve on my technique or learn something new there is a great sense of satisfaction. Thanks TG.

mcfingers

Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 am

I am sorry for your loss.

I will keep this short and sweet.

Why do I play.....

Therepy- for when I have had a hard day.
Relaxation- because I teach Jr. High Shcool kids all day
Satisfaction- when I nail a song.
Enjoyment- when I play for or with others and we all have a good time
Accomplishment- when I learn something new.

Those are just a few.

Cheers,
Steve

haoli25

Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:29 am

Dennis, excellent topic and what a great way to honor your brother's memory. I play guitar to relax and for my own entertainment. I rarely play for other people, I prefer to keep it as a private pastime. When I choose to learn (or re-learn) a song, it doesn't matter to me if it takes a day or a month to accomplish, so I am always at ZERO stress level when I have one of my guitars in my hand.

Bill

glenn10

Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:53 am

Sorry to hear why you began to play again,I can certainly understand how it must feel sometimes.Why I took up the guitar ,well ,I have only taken it up now and I am 54yrs old its because I like to challenge myself. I recently came out of a long term relationship that really hurt me ,and I find solace and a form of meditation in music and learning to do something that I can enjoy and gives meand others enjoyment .It's a bit why I wanted to become a black belt in karate at my age ,which I have now achieved ,and on my way to 2nd Dan .Its all about doing something for yourself that you enjoy or find soothing or challenging .I found that an idle mind is the devils workshop and you can be place's you don't want. So use those fond memories of your brother and use that energy and emotion to play your best you can ,if that's what you really want to do. :)

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:04 am

Great way to stay connected to your brother Dennis. Eric wrote Tears In Heaven and that helped him get past the loss of his son. Creativity, music, and the guitar can do that.

And don't I love an essay question. A little too much, looking back at the length of this...

Well here's a song that says it really well.

Good things can be so simple
To laugh like fool
To smile all day
Halcyon days

[video][/video]

I get frustrated looks of hostility and disapproval from Spike (the cat), just about every day when I play. And have you ever read the comments and criticism on some of the most incredible Youtube vids? Well I say to you that giving the critics something to gripe (not the word I really wanted to use) about is a noble thing. I think I'd call that a sense of purpose.

I've gotten to know guitarists from all over the world through YouTube and Totally Guitars, and it always amazes me when someone goes out of their way to explain something to my dumb @$$, post a lesson, or do a cover for just some guy from the Group W bench. I think I'd call that acceptance.

I get to do all kinds of clever creative things, including making a lot of humorous sarcastic comments on Youtube videos and guitar forums. And you could call that learning, sharing, or just plain FUN.

I get to hear some of the most amazing songs, that I NEVER would have heard on the radio, over all the honking, shouting, and inappropriate hand gestures. And when I do finally get there, I get to use lines from the lyrics in everyday conversation. If you wouldn't call that inspiration, then I think you could call it plagiarism.

I got to meet Tommy Emmanuel. He considered Chet Atkins to be the "Man With A Green Thumb". And haven't we all know someone, or their music, that had the right blend of sunshine, manure, and the knack for making everything (and everyone) they touched grow? I've grow in ways I never could have imagined, sittin' there on the Group W bench. I think I'd call that Transformation

And the Gambler's (Kenny Rogers) mother told him that all a gimpy card player needs to be happy is "something to love, something to do, and something to look forward too". And I think if you turn your guitar over and shake it real hard, all of those things, along with that pick you can't find, might just spill out of the sound hole. If not, I can still use it to bash that ungrateful hairball, next time he smirks at me like that! So can we call this one "Satisfaction", Mick???

And the only thing I think Todd overlooked was the creative spelling. Halcyon "Daze". Yeah, that's what I get out of it...

tovo

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:05 am

Hey man sorry about your Brother, that's a tough experience to go through. Kudos for sharing your feelings.

I play because I always loved music. Making my own, however poorly, makes me feel like a kid in a lolly shop and gives me tremendous pleasure so it's all good.

michelew

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:41 am

Dennis, sorry to hear about your brother. That is one of the best ways I've ever heard of to stay connected to a loved one, to morn his loss and to celebrate his life and your relationship with him. May it bring you great healing and eventually great joy.

For my there are may reasons. These are some of them:

- I love the sound of the guitar - all guitars, all styles of music ( OK maybe not all, but most)
- I regretted giving up on guitar (learned a little as a teenager)
- I wanted to be to play the beautiful guitar music I was listening to - much of it fancy finger picking
- to keep my brain young (or at least to stop it from ageing too quickly) - dementia has hit a few in my family
- for relaxation, to de-stress
- tele is boring
- for fun
because someday I'd liek to be able to sing properly...I know that's strange but it's true
- so that I can feel like I've achieve something fabulous - I'll take a while but that's OK.

I'm sure there's more....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic