Christmas Songs

BigBear

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:31 pm

karl01 wrote:
What about people who don't celebrate Christmas? Why should we have our time wasted with what boils down to "religious" songs.

Now I realize that not everyone likes every song covered here, but they do not presuppose a certain belief in order to make them relevant, these do.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Karl
Karl- who has "presupposed" anything here? Have you heard, seen or read any reference to God, Jesus Christ or any other Christian reference? Our PC society has made Christmas a primarily secular holiday so there can't be any offense there.

I think you are wildly off-base to suggest that anyone is preaching or pushing any religion on you on this site. We have two Christian ministers on this site (that I know of) and I've never once heard them pushing anything on you.

These are beautiful songs that both Christians and non-Christians around the world enjoy. Please feel free to not "waste" your time playing them but please don't begrudge us the chance to waste our time totally enjoying them!! Thank you! :unsure:

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Well said Bear, hey team its about the music and learning, the actual content is not so important, so lets stay away from religious discussion and politics (nice try wilson to divert the thread). This is not the place for it.

As always we have the ability to ignore that which doesn't agree with us, leave it there and move on.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Ok, move along folks.... nothing to see here..... just a little forum traffic accident... move along now.....

rcsnydley

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 pm

BigBear wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
Will there be Hanuka songs? Or maybe some Kwanzaa songs?

Ric

Ric- I think you might be overreacting to this issue. If you want Hanukkah or Kwaanza songs request them. If enough members request them, Neil may do them. But please do not deny me and others an opportunity to learn and enjoy songs that are very important to us.

We are all paying members of this group. Neil has provided songs that I don't particulary like, and will never play, but so what? I take the good with the bad. For example I'm not a big Beatles fan. But I overwhelmingly like most of the songs here. If Neil puts up a song I don't like should I feel gipped? Of course not!

Neil has cut a CD of Christmas music. Is it unreasonable for us to want to learn some of them? Or have we become so PC that we have to give up some really beautiful music because some people don't celebrate a particular holiday? This is a guitar site not a lyrics site. And music by itself is not religious! Greensleeves and What Child is This? are the same music!

I hope we can all be more open-minded about the content on this site.
Well said, Bear, I certainly stirred up a hornets nest. I by no means feel gipped either, in fact I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to all for the lively discussion because, isn't that what a forum is really all about.

Ric

haoli25

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:44 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Will there be Hanuka songs? Or maybe some Kwanzaa songs?

Ric

Ric, I'll even accept gifts from anyone. :) "It is better to give than receive" and I want the very best for my friends, so GIVE to your heart's content and I will take on the tough job of receiving. No sacrifice is to great. Image

TGMatt

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Their will be Xmas songs coming...if you dont like them for whatver reason (im not partial to them), move along..we have a ton of material coming enough to keep everyone happy as mud....we have averaged more than 10 lessons a month , way way beyond our target of 4-6, and we are going to continue that pace..so

Please play nice with each other..

Look for my announcements soon all..

AndyT

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm sitting here with a bemused expression on my face. For reasons I will not get into here on this site (If you want to discuss religion vs. Christianity, then pm me. I am one of the ministers Bear mentioned.) I find this whole discussion rather funny and sad at the same time.

Let's just say that 'X'mas' songs have nothing to do with religion and let it go at that. I'm sure Matt wants to keep this discussion at an extremely friendly level and I agree. This forum is not the place.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLLY-DAZE TO ALL!
:laugh:

dustystrings

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 pm

AndyT wrote:
I'm sitting here with a bemused expression on my face. For reasons I will not get into here on this site (If you want to discuss religion vs. Christianity, then pm me. I am one of the ministers Bear mentioned.) I find this whole discussion rather funny and sad at the same time.

Let's just say that 'X'mas' songs have nothing to do with religion and let it go at that. I'm sure Matt wants to keep this discussion at an extremely friendly level and I agree. This forum is not the place.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLLY-DAZE TO ALL!
:laugh:

I think you learn as much about people from how they disagree, as you do by how they play nice. And considering how harshly some folks sometimes disagree about politics and religion, I'm again quite impressed with the people here. And I must admit, I do enjoy seeing Bear thump a few skulls in the interest of brotherhood and peace. LOL

Merry today, and Happy ever other day to all... ;)

AndyT

Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:10 pm

I think I might have to start calling Bear 'Peter' instead. LMBO! Put the man down Bear... No... Not in your mouth... There ya go... Good Bear.

:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Wilson.

garner

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 am

I thought this is a guitar site. Politics and relgion have nothing to do with playing guitar. I also would like some christmas music. This is the best site out there,
lets keep this being fun. I have been a member since May all though a quite member
But please enjoy this site for we have the best teacher out there.
Garner

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic